Electric start Toro lawn mower won't start

Old 04-03-10, 11:17 AM
Electric start Toro lawn mower won't start

Edit: My memory was wrong, it is a Troy bilt lawn mower with a Briggs & Stratton 650 series engine.

Ok, my mom bought a Toro lawn mower about 3 years ago and at the end of last summer, she couldn't get it to start. I took a look at it and I couldn't get it to start either, tried with the push button electric start and the pull cord.

The mower sounds like it is trying to start, but the motor won't turn over and start. Sounds almost like a car with a dying battery that turns over but never starts.

This is what I/we have checked so far:
1. Battery charged
2. Fuse at battery ok (not blown)
3. Changed spark plug
4. Full of gas and oil
5. Pushing the red primer button does get gas into the combustion chamber, so I am assuming that the fuel line is not blocked.
6. Had her plug the spark plug out of the combustion chamber but keep it connected to the battery to check for spark. She said she saw no spark at the spark plug (new plug, gap checked).

I haven't had a chance to look up a parts diagram, but I am assuming it has a starter and a carb. I was going to clean the carb just so it is clean, but I have a feeling since there is no spark, it is the starter (or starter solenoid, whatever these small engines have).

Any other ideas?

Thank You,
Neil

Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-10, 11:31 AM
Battery and starter solenoid have nothing to do with spark. If it was checked in the day light, spark is very hard to see. Check it in the shade and make sure it is groounded good.

Old 04-03-10, 11:47 AM
Thanks for the reply indy. If I recall correctly, I told her to (and she did) check it at night, so a spark should have been easy to see.

How does the spark get to the spark plug if not by the battery or starter solenoid?

Thank You,
Neil

Old 04-03-10, 04:28 PM
The coil is attatched to the other end of the spark plug wire. When the flywheel turns, the magnets on the flywheel engerize the coil causing it to discharge electrical voltage to the spark plug causing the plug to spark.

Old 04-28-10, 09:34 AM
Sometimes the easiest solution is the right one. Looked at it some more while my brother was down for the weekend. Turns out it was vapor locked. My brother popped off the gas cap and it started right up! Gas cap is not vented...

Thanks,
Neil

Old 04-29-10, 03:32 AM
Ya gotta love those gas caps. It's the first thing I check now when something comes to my shop. Learned the hard way after spending a half a day to get a snowblower to run to find the only problem to be a blocked gas cap vent.

Old 04-29-10, 08:03 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by indypower1 View Post
The coil is attatched to the other end of the spark plug wire. When the flywheel turns, the magnets on the flywheel engerize the coil causing it to discharge electrical voltage to the spark plug causing the plug to spark.

Just to put a point on your comment, when the flywheel magnet passes the coil, the electrons in the coil wire are forced to move by the magnetic field. A flow of electrons through some kind of conductor is an electric current.

It takes energy to force the electrons to move, which comes from the rotating flywheel.

Search this Thread