Please make a sticky out of the Honda GVC 160 motor thread! Wow..almost 30K!!

Old 04-05-10, 05:13 PM
Talking Please make a sticky out of the Honda GVC 160 motor thread! Wow..almost 30K!!

Please make the Honda motor running problems thread a sticky. The shear size of it warrants it! Honda lawn mower motors obviously have a high rate of problems.....and this thread nails the major problem......Honda used a NGK spark plug that has proved defective. It is not easily identified, since the spark plugs 'seem' ok when testing them, however, when you change it out.....voila!! The problem is fixed!! And it is NOT the carb, sticky valve, etc. [Yes,....there can be times of course that it could be other issues,....but wow....read the thread!]

The stories speak for themselves.

Last edited by Reddoggie; 04-05-10 at 05:15 PM. Reason: model added
Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-10, 09:42 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Lots of equipment of all kinds have systematic problems or weaknesses of one kind or another. Trying to create a catalog of those problems is really not the way to approach good troubleshooting methods, in my opinion.

A good repairman has a catalog of such problems in his head, and may use that list to go directly to likely problems.

But even in such cases a good repairman is looking over the whole piece of equipment as a part of that initial inspection, looking for routine maintenance that needs to be done and deciding whether one of those possible weaknesses is worth checking for.

I used to earn my bread as a furnace repairman, so I'm a DIYer on small engine repairs. I appreciate the thread on the spark plug problem not because it solves any problem of mine, but because it illustrates how a bad spark plug can be a deceptive problem ----

Note to self: have a good plug handy and keep in mind that testing and inspecting the ignition system and the plug is an important step in diagnosing problems!

But frankly, I would emphasize good diagnostic procedures as general advice, not short cuts. Short cuts might be good as advice on particular threads dealing with particular pieces of equipment.

That's my opinion, anyway.