Honda HRR216 Won't start but runs Great

Old 04-06-10, 06:22 PM
Honda HRR216 Won't start but runs Great

Hello everyone,

After reading past posts on the Honda HRR216 I thought I had better ask about my situation. The engine runs fine after it starts. Starting it is the issue. I got this mower from my father, who can be quite creative in his fixes. My father decided that the carburetor's problem was its inability to create the proper vacuum during start-up/pull-starting. So, he drilled a hole through the air cleaner box and inserted a small tube and hangs a small squirt bottle filled with gasoline on the mower. To start the engine, you prime the carb through the tube in the air cleaner box. The engine starts right up and runs fine. I know he sprayed/cleaned the carburetor. I've inspected the gaskets and they look good.

Would this indicate a worn out carburetor?

Thanks for your help.
dmend

Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-10, 07:34 PM
it indicates that either the choke (if equiped) is not working or the flapper valve on the fuel inlet of the carb is not sealing well, since lots of small engine carbs are equiped with the little primer bulbs his idea is the same principle and as long as the hole doesn't let dirt into the carb, I would most likely just go with it for a while.

murphy was an optimist

Old 04-06-10, 08:27 PM
There are many posts in this forum about Hondas. Carb problems, runs for 10 seconds then quits, starts hard. The cure for 95% of these problems is to change the spark plug. Hondas are extremely finicky about spark plugs. Even tho they with NGK plugs, they seem to run much better with a Champion. Try a Champion spark plug before doing anything else. For $2.99 you could save yourself a lot of money, time & head pounding.

Old 04-06-10, 09:01 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by dmend View Post
Hello everyone,

My father decided that the carburetor's problem was its inability to create the proper vacuum during start-up/pull-starting. So, he drilled a hole through the air cleaner box and inserted a small tube and hangs a small squirt bottle filled with gasoline on the mower. To start the engine, you prime the carb through the tube in the air cleaner box. The engine starts right up and runs fine. I know he sprayed/cleaned the carburetor. I've inspected the gaskets and they look good.

Would this indicate a worn out carburetor?

Heh, heh! I don't know about the carb, but it sounds like there is a screw loose in the old man!