Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Tecumseh Engine HMSK85 Oil leak through valve cover

04-06-10, 07:47 PM   #1  
Tecumseh Engine HMSK85 Oil leak through valve cover

I have a Tecumseh engine Model # HMSK85 on my snow blower. My engine is leaking oil to the extent that is lubes the drive wheel and my snow blower won't even move. After working on it for some time, I believe the oil is coming directly from the valve cover. What internally would be causing this amount of oil to be blown out?? I can't find any gaskets leaking and if possible I don't want to pull the engine apart if the problem might be something else.

Sponsored Links

Non-US

04-06-10, 08:20 PM   #2  
The PCV Valve is on the rocker cover & the first thing that comes to mind is oil over full...& it's blowing it out the breather.. The other is too heavy oil for the temperatures your running it in,, & the third is the carb is blocked & you have to run with choke on some (do you???)& diluting the oil or the long shot (& almost impossible) is the float & needle & seat leaks & fills the crankcase with gas. but unlikley in this case as the carb is lower than the valves.... .Let us know & we'll take it from there.... Roger

NH

04-06-10, 08:39 PM   #3  
I was thinking the same thing as Hopkins. Overfilled with oil. These engines only have an oil capacity of 18-22 oz. 32oz is a quart. I have seen so very many people change their own oil and dump in the full quart. Snowblower engines use 5W30 oil, not SAE30 like the lawn mowers use.SAE30 is too thick for snowblowers.

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

WA

04-06-10, 09:05 PM   #4  
Posted By: J_Duchscher My engine is leaking oil to the extent that is lubes the drive wheel and my snow blower won't even move.

Looking on the bright side, I'll bet that belt will last a LONG time!

NH

04-07-10, 07:13 AM   #5  
Posted By: SeattlePioneer Looking on the bright side, I'll bet that belt will last a LONG time!
We try to help people here. If you knew anything about lawn equipment, you would know that the belt on this snowblower with this problem will NOT last very long at all!!

04-07-10, 07:57 AM   #6  
Thanks for the feeback. This has been ongoing. I don't believe the oil is overfull, but could have been. The engine recommendation was SAE30, but it could have been the type of oil I was using. I live in ND, so most of the time I'm operating the snow blower the temps are sub zero.

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

WA

04-07-10, 09:13 AM   #7  
Posted By: indypower1 We try to help people here. If you knew anything about lawn equipment, you would know that the belt on this snowblower with this problem will NOT last very long at all!!

OK--- I thought a drive belt covered with oil wouldn't have much chance to wear out.

But I'm not an Xpert, and I guess I proved that....

NH

04-07-10, 09:40 AM   #8  
Posted By: J_Duchscher Thanks for the feeback. This has been ongoing. I don't believe the oil is overfull, but could have been. The engine recommendation was SAE30, but it could have been the type of oil I was using. I live in ND, so most of the time I'm operating the snow blower the temps are sub zero.
Recomendations have changed over the years due to oils getting better. 5W30 is now the recomended oil for snowblowers due to the temps they operate in. SAE30 was recomended for all outdoor equipment for many years. It is still the recomendation for summer equipment.

Search this Thread