Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Carb Cleaning Triumphs

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

WA

04-07-10, 09:42 AM   #1  
Carb Cleaning Triumphs

I've been working to develop some experience cleaning carbs.

I did a clean/rebuild of a Briggs Quantum Carb a few days ago. That was an easy one and it worked! GREAT when I got through!

(Note punctuation for pleased surprise).

Well, I had a spare one of those carbs from an old mower, and a spare carb rebuild kit, so this morning I rebuiilt that one too to gain some more experience.

Having done that, I have an old Homelight string trimmer I got for a few bucks that only barely worked. So I took out the Welbro WA carb and cleaned that.

Wow! It not only worked when I got done, but was MUCH improved! It had been hard to start and quick to quit. Now it starts easily and works reliably.

The only problem I see is that it if I apply full throttle it will stall out, and seems not to have as much power as I would suppose should be there at near full throttle.

I see there is a high speed carb adjustment screw ---- should I try adjusting that?

Sponsored Links

WA

04-07-10, 11:23 AM   #2  
I was having enough fun that I pulled down a cheap Craftsman chainsaw that I've had several years and cleaned that WT carburetor. That was actually easier than the one on the string trimmer, since the linkages were easier to get on and off.

I don't have any more gas 'n 2 cycle oil, so I'll have to wait to test it out.

Like a lot of underviced equipment, it had been working less and less satisfactorily the past few years. If I'm lucky, this will perk up a lot like the string trimmer did.

I think that spending some time learning how to clean carbs is going to be a worthwhile skill.

Let's see --- I have another Homelight string trimmer I bought at a thrift shop. I really bought that one for spare parts for the other string trimmer, but I probably ought to try getting that to run. Maybe I could find another use for the engine ----?

And then there's the 120 HP Force 2 cycle outboard that's been sitting unused the past couple of years. A little carb cleaning on that would probably make things work better.

So many carbs!

WA

04-07-10, 06:24 PM   #3  
Well, I got some fuel and fired up my chainsaw after cleaning the carb (perhaps it would be better to say "started" rather than mentioning fire).

It started and ran like new! What fun!

Since I don't use the chainsaw much, I drained the fuel back out and ran it until the fuel was exhausted.

I've dedicated a plastic bottle to holding fuel for my 2 stroke equipment. That way I can fuel up equipment when I use it, and drain it back into one fuel location when I'm done.

I also got a long funnel I can use to drain that or other fuel into my car gas tank when it gets towards that 30 day fresh fuel limit. That means I can keep my 1 gallon gas container full and still empty it whenever I need to to keep the fuel fresh.

OK

04-08-10, 08:12 AM   #4  
Does it have an L needle?
Does it have a quick response when you blip the throttle?
Do you have the service manuals for the carb?

WA

04-08-10, 08:20 AM   #5  
There are low speed and high speed needles and a third needle I suppose adjusts the idle.

I did get what I considered an ordinary quick acceleration of the engine speed when I goosed the throttle.

I have no service manuals on the carb.

OK

04-08-10, 08:28 AM   #6  
Service manuals for Walbro models here:
Service Manuals

Download Tech guide and others here for ZAMA:
USA Zama : Service Tips

Usually, if it bogs when trigger is blipped, the L needle needs to be opened up til there is quick responsive acceleration,
sounds like you may need to open H a bit.
HTH
thanks,

Search this Thread