Fuel Management

Old 04-06-10, 09:12 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Fuel Management

I see that manufacturers are VERY picky about fuel for mowers these days. The recommendation seems to be to use fuel no more than 30 days old, 60 days if a fuel stabilizer has been added.

Frankly, I have been slovenly about such things for years, and have been punished accordingly!

But I'm trying to turn over a new leaf this year.

What advice or habits do people have for good fuel management practices?

I saw RedDog suggest using a premium fuel. Is that a good idea?

My start was to buy a one gallon fuel container, and I'm buying only $1 of fuel at a time which forces me to buy fuel more often, since $1 doesn't go very far with gasoline these days (I can remember $.28/gallon gas!).

What other bright ideas do people have to deal with this issue?

Old 04-07-10, 04:14 AM
G
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SeattlePioneer
I see that manufacturers are VERY picky about fuel for mowers these days. The recommendation seems to be to use fuel no more than 30 days old, 60 days if a fuel stabilizer has been added.

I saw RedDog suggest using a premium fuel. Is that a good idea?

My start was to buy a one gallon fuel container, and I'm buying only $1 of fuel at a time which forces me to buy fuel more often, since $1 doesn't go very far with gasoline these days (I can remember $.28/gallon gas!).

What other bright ideas do people have to deal with this issue?
The 30/60 is a good idea.
Concerns these days is whether fuel contains ethanol or not. The suggestion of premium fuel might be that some don't contain ethanol, but I prefer to follow the manufacturers fuel recommendation.
Buying $1 at a time is a little extreme. I use 2 gal containers. If I think I need fresher gas, I put what's left over of the 2 gals in my p/u truck.
Not knowing exactly when the last mow will be in the fall, I start putting Stabil in fuel middle of September.
On pushmowers and gravity fed riders, in the spring I siphon out any gas in tank, put in fresh gas and crack the bowl nut to flush with fresh fuel. They start 1st pull every time, even the one yesterday that had sat outside in rain and snow all winter.
Maybe not good fuel mgmt, but these are my habits.

Old 04-07-10, 09:10 AM
Originally Posted by GlenM
The 30/60 is a good idea.

Buying $1 at a time is a little extreme. I use 2 gal containers. If I think I need fresher gas, I put what's left over of the 2 gals in my p/u truck.

Good idea.

I guess I can fill up my one gallon container and then empty any surplus in the car gas tank when fueling up. I wont be caught short that way.

Simple idea, but I hadn't got around to thinking of that!

Old 04-07-10, 06:27 PM
Well, I got some fuel and fired up my chainsaw after cleaning the carb (perhaps it would be better to say "started" rather than mentioning fire).

It started and ran like new! What fun!

Since I don't use the chainsaw much, I drained the fuel back out and ran it until the fuel was exhausted.

I've dedicated a plastic bottle to holding fuel for my 2 stroke equipment. That way I can fuel up equipment when I use it, and drain it back into one fuel location when I'm done.

I also got a long funnel I can use to drain that or other fuel into my car gas tank when it gets towards that 30 day fresh fuel limit. That means I can keep my 1 gallon gas container full and still empty it whenever I need to to keep the fuel fresh.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: