Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

John Deere electric clutch

AL

04-09-10, 09:25 AM   #1  
John Deere electric clutch

I've gotten a John Deere LX255 in, and am having trouble getting the electric clutch off, in order to put on a new drive belt. I've taken the bolt out of the end of the crankshaft. The bottom deck pulley seems to drop down about 1/2" - 3/4" but the electric clutch won't budge. Anyone have any suggestions? Also, do you know where I might find a service manual for this lawn mower?

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

WA

04-09-10, 12:30 PM   #2  
I found an owner manual, but I saw nothing about belts:

John Deere Ag - New Equipment: Technical Publications - Publications Search

Belts seem to be covered in the attachment section. It looks like you can buy operating manuals for mower decks at that web site, but none appeared to be available on line.

I did find a manual for a snowblower that appears how to install the drive belt on the tractor. Maybe that would be of help to you:

Installing

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

WA

04-09-10, 12:39 PM   #3  
The snow blower looks like a Rube Goldberg device, but I'd pay a fee to try running it for a while on a good snowy day!

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-10-10, 01:11 AM   #4  
The clutch is stuck on the shaft. I sometimes use 2 2X4s, one wedged between the frame and top of the clutch on either side with someone lifting on one while I lift on the other, prying down the clutch to get it off. It usually pops off then.

Snowblowers don't connect to motion drive belts.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

AL

04-27-10, 12:50 PM   #5  
Cheese, I've been very busy the last month or so building a new room on my house. I finally got a chance to work on this John Deere. I didn't have room to get 2 X 4s behind the pulleys so I used two (two foot) crow bars. Couldn't get the clutch to budge. The only other thing I thought of was to fabricate some sort of puller. Do you have any other suggestions?

TX

04-27-10, 09:27 PM   #6  
not at all familiar with your particular application!
But on most hub to shaft type pulley/flywheel-etc.-
you can put some thing on the threaded shaft in the center-to protect the threads-(the nut that came off is goog- just thread it out to where it is flush with the threaded shaft end.
put a brass block/hammer head on the end of the previous mentioned nut/shaft.!
get a 'good pull ' from behind the problem flange using the 2x2 's mentioned.
NOW, you need 2 people.
1 maintains the pull on the 2x2s!!
2nd will strike !SHARPLY! the other end of the brass /hammer -etc.-with a fast direct "POP".

the problem child should jump-off/to the thread protetor.

i wish you luck/GOD Bless

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-27-10, 10:34 PM   #7  
I agree. Sometimes they are stubborn. I have used bars and had one person on one side picking up with another person on the other picking up with the front of the mower being picked up in the air and the clutch still stuck on. Soak it with pb blaster for a while and try the method mentioned above.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

PA

04-28-10, 09:45 AM   #8  
Patience and perserverence will work better than simple brute force. Using some sort of penetrating oil and gentle prying and pulling and even tapping with a hammer will eventually get it off in useable condition. Heavy handed prying and wailing on it with a big hammer usually results in needing new parts.

PA

04-29-10, 09:04 AM   #9  
Oh, and you can order service manuals either from your dealer or by calling Deere publications directly at 1-800-522-7448 or from Technical Publications. They will need your serial number and a credit card. Don't bother with the parts catalog as that is available free on line at Deere's site.

Search this Thread