John Deere 125 Won't Start

Old 04-09-10, 07:24 PM
John Deere 125 Won't Start

Have a John Deere 125 with BS engine 1 and a half years old. Mowed briefly last night and mower began surging/loping like it was running out of gas (tank almost full). It cut off but immediately cranked back up. I ran for about 5 minutes longer before it cutoff abruptly. It will not crank back up. Fuel filter has gas in it. Battery is strong. Mower turns over well. Smells flooded. No evidence of spark. 20 Amp fuse looks good. Not a lot of experience with these things. I removed the enginer cover to look for loose wires. Didn't find any. Are there some simple checks I can perform to localize?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-10, 01:04 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
You say no evidence of spark, does that mean you checked for spark?

Old 04-10-10, 06:13 AM
Spark

How do you do that? It sounded as if it the cylnders never tried to ignite.

Old 04-10-10, 06:48 AM
Just put a good plug in the ignition wire and ground it to the engine, spin it over and watch for a bright blue spark. It's a lot easier to see in the garage with the doors shut.

Old 04-10-10, 01:25 PM
Originally Posted by SamDrofla View Post
Have a John Deere 125 with BS engine 1 and a half years old. Mowed briefly last night and mower began surging/loping like it was running out of gas (tank almost full). It cut off but immediately cranked back up. I ran for about 5 minutes longer before it cutoff abruptly. It will not crank back up. Fuel filter has gas in it. Battery is strong. Mower turns over well. Smells flooded. No evidence of spark. 20 Amp fuse looks good. Not a lot of experience with these things. I removed the enginer cover to look for loose wires. Didn't find any. Are there some simple checks I can perform to localize?
Sounds like your gas cap vent may be clogged. Try running it with the gas cap loose. And since it smells flooded, install a new spark plug. A fouled plug will never start the engine.