Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

How to pop belt back on spindle

04-10-10, 01:25 PM   #1  
How to pop belt back on spindle

hello, and thank you in advance for any and all consideration you may give my question.

just started mowing my hill for the first time this year, and my forward/reverse pedal went dead.

i popped the tractor up on blocks (it's a deere LA145 riding mower) to find the cause.

what i found was that the belt had come off the spindle (or whatever it's proper terminology is). the picture is below. what i really really need help with is how to put the belt back on the pulley wheel. the parking brake is locked, so that is what is causing the lack of tension. once i disengage the brake, the belt becomes tense again.

so..... the only thing really holding me back from reattaching the belt is this golden metal rod that is next to the pulley wheel. i couldn't see any way to disengage or lower this rod, but i'm certainly not mechanically inclined.

this picture is taken from the rear of the tractor looking upwards under the seat. here you can see the belt is below the pulley wheel just kinda hanging out.

again, any and all help is appreciated as my tractor is stuck sitting at the bottom of my hill.

link to photo

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-10-10, 06:48 PM   #2  
If you can't walk the belt between the pulley and the belt guide (gold rod), then unscrew the belt guide, put the belt on, and reinstall the guide.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

04-11-10, 06:17 PM   #3  
yep cheese, that was the ticket.

getting at that belt guide with pliers at such a disjointed angle was a challenge to be had. i wish vendors made access to repair a little easier. then again, i'm probably singing to the choir on this board.

i truly appreciate your help. thank you so much.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-12-10, 01:20 AM   #4  
No problem! Glad to help!

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread