Craftsman riding mower

Old 04-10-10, 04:23 PM
Craftsman riding mower

The blades on my mower won't stay engaged longer than 8 seconds. They just slow down and stop. I have tried adjusting the clutch plate and that doesn't make any difference. Is there anything else I can do or do I have to buy a new one?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-10, 06:33 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello and welcome,

It would help to know what you have (maybe a model number to go on... craftsman made hundreds of different riding mowers). By your description, I'm guessing you have to jump start your mower to get it to run because of a bad battery, and I'm also guessing you have an electric PTO clutch rather than a mechanical one, and the dead battery is why it won't work. If that doesn't hit somewhere near the mark, post a model number so we know what you have and can give you accurate advice.

Old 04-11-10, 07:51 AM
Thanks! You are right I have to jump start it. I never thought about that. The model number is 917.25891. I am going to buy a battery right now.

Old 04-11-10, 04:50 PM
Before buying a battery, have the old one charged & load tested & make sure you test the charging system as well... If the alternator doesn't work a new battery will discharge soon & you'll have trouble again... Roger