Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Work Bench for Lawn Mower/Small Engine Repairs

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

WA

04-12-10, 08:02 PM   #1  
Work Bench for Lawn Mower/Small Engine Repairs

So what kind of work bench and work space have proes and DIYers found works well for lawnmower and small engine repairs?

Sponsored Links

NH

04-12-10, 08:32 PM   #2  
I have this sissor lift. Works great. I also bought the 12" side extensions so a tractor would fit on it. Cost about $1200 with the extensions. Needs 90psi air. You can buy cheaper ones, but using it every day they wont last.

Handy Lawnmower Lifts and Accessories | Handy-Lift.com

Forum Topic Moderator

KS

04-14-10, 07:43 AM   #3  
Lift tables are nice and back savers, but take up room and are a considerable investment. Even with the table you will still need a jack for riders.
I use some old carpet that I can roll out any where I need it and a kids step stool and a floor jack for riders. Saw horses and or some wood blocks for push mowers and just a plain ole bench and comfy chair for small items.

AL

04-14-10, 08:58 AM   #4  
I created a very convenient repair station by modifing my guardrail system on my porch coming out of my shop. I can place the equipment on the porch and remove four pins with hairpin clips, remove the section of rail and stand on my drive to do repair. Might consider a lazy susan next.

Last edited by Giles; 04-14-10 at 09:02 AM. Reason: Correction made

MO

04-14-10, 09:53 AM   #5  
I know this is more "EXOTIC" than you guys are used to but I have been using it for years. Have a good one. Geo

WA

04-14-10, 01:05 PM   #6  
I use "the porch" method sometimes. I have a poured cement front porch with about a three foot dropoff to the side of the front door.

So I can put gear to be worked on on the porch and then stand at ground level, which often puts things at about the right height.

You married guys would probably be nagged to death if you tried that, I'm guessing! Even so, I'm somewhat reluctant to do that since I don't want to stain the concrete with oil.

WA

04-14-10, 01:08 PM   #7  
Say geogrubb,

I see one strip of mowed lawn. Did your mower quit at that point or do you save the lawn grass for testing purposes?

The testing idea sounds like a great excuse for not mowing the lawn!

MO

04-14-10, 07:13 PM   #8  
Posted By: SeattlePioneer Say geogrubb,

I see one strip of mowed lawn. Did your mower quit at that point or do you save the lawn grass for testing purposes?

The testing idea sounds like a great excuse for not mowing the lawn!
That is what I tell everyone, if I mow the whole thing I have no where to test. Sorry to intrude on a serious post but had to put in the picture. Have a good one. Geo

WA

04-14-10, 10:31 PM   #9  
Oh, it's not a serious post. I'm just interested in hearing about how people deal with various problems.

When I posted on my lawnmower blade holder, people gave me the excellent idea of braking out the impact wrench I already have.

People come up with great ways to solve problems ----but rather often we don't hear about them and just fumble along as best we can.

I liked the idea of having an outdoor table too. Table are cheap and having a place to put equipment so you aren't bending over and working on the ground sounds VERY good.

And it sounds like you have a great way to avoid too much lawn mowing!

FL

04-23-10, 07:51 PM   #10  
Outside my kitchen door I have a small wooden porch about 6'x6' and about 2 1/2' high. I cut a couple old 2x8s so they would rest on the top step with the ends flush, more or less, with the porch floor so I can roll my rider up on it. It's a real back-saver.

OK

04-24-10, 02:26 AM   #11  
Posted By: geogrubb I know this is more "EXOTIC" than you guys are used to but I have been using it for years. Have a good one. Geo
Geo,
I wish I could afford something like yours.
(altho OPE repair could be seasonal)

Aha, I believe I recognize the backside of a can of Walmart brake parts cleaner sittin there.

My work bench is a small TV entertainment center that fell off a trailer in front of the house as someone was hauling it to the dump.

It sits under a shop light I hung from one of the overhead garage door tracks.

I put pushmowers on top of two upside down pickle buckets.

Use the cushion from an old chaise lounge if I have to get on the floor.

The 'clean' area for carb ass'y is a pick-a-size paper towel.

You can tell I don't have much invested in my workshop.

MO

04-24-10, 09:06 AM   #12  
Posted By: GlenM Geo,
I wish I could afford something like yours.
(altho OPE repair could be seasonal)

Aha, I believe I recognize the backside of a can of Walmart brake parts cleaner sittin there.

My work bench is a small TV entertainment center that fell off a trailer in front of the house as someone was hauling it to the dump.

It sits under a shop light I hung from one of the overhead garage door tracks.

I put pushmowers on top of two upside down pickle buckets.

Use the cushion from an old chaise lounge if I have to get on the floor.

The 'clean' area for carb ass'y is a pick-a-size paper towel.

You can tell I don't have much invested in my workshop.
My repairs are seasonal, and that is Walmart Brake Parts cleaner(good observation). I use Walmart Brake Parts cleaner and Carb Cleaner when something is real bad i use NAPA mac 6402 bath but still finish with Brake Parts cleaner. Have a good one. Geo

WA

04-24-10, 11:33 AM   #13  
I have a basement that is about three feet below grade, with a basement door access through a concrete steps and bottom platform/deck.

So yesterday I hauled out a piece of 1/2" plywood for a mower to sit on next to those steps. That gave about the right working height, and I figure the plywood would prevent me from losing parts in the grass it covered.

That worked pretty well.

Search this Thread