MTD variable speed belt adjustments

Reply

  #1  
Old 04-13-10, 01:48 AM
5dollaralien's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2009
Location: roanoke valley/Franklin county
Posts: 126
MTD variable speed belt adjustments

I have a Yard machines mower
My friend brings it to me and it will not not move unless the tranny is in neutral. Thinking oh it just needs adjusted, tried over and over again with minimal luck. I have the book and followed directions to the letter except for the book states to hold the clutch pedal just to where the brake rod "STOP" just touches the frame and continue from there. anyhow there is no brake rod stop on this mower (but there is on my older MTD mower which is very similar) So I mimicked the about position of the brake rod using my old as a guide, and then set the speed control and then moved onto setting the neutral, well it was closer but as the motor runs it seems to get the front belt going with enough power to propel the mower.
I thought ok I will adjust it a little further but that makes the brake not work and if I go the other way it makes it engage worse. I am adjusting it according to directions and all around.
the model number is 13ax675g062 mtd 42"
the belt looks kinda worn and I am thinking that it is the only thing left to fix
oh I took the variable pulley off and it seems fine
any ideas will be appreciated
 
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 04-13-10, 08:27 PM
Member
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: ontario,canada
Posts: 325
I was doing one that also referred to a stop and there was none. I held it as far forward as posible for that step
 
  #3  
Old 04-14-10, 02:14 AM
5dollaralien's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2009
Location: roanoke valley/Franklin county
Posts: 126
I will give that another try, thanks for the response. But I am pretty sure that was what I tried first but will try again. The belt seems kinda tacky and is frayed a little on one edge so I will probably change the belt since I have one already for my mower.
will post back. Got a little frustrated after adjusting it like 5 times with no luck
 
  #4  
Old 04-14-10, 06:16 AM
indypower1's Avatar
Member
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lake Winnipesaukee, New Hampshire
Posts: 634
You have 2 drive belts. Replace both of them with OEM belts. You will be surprised what a new belt does. MTD's use odd size belts and after market belts are close, but do not work well, if at all, on MTD's. The 2 belts that you need are 754-0280A and 754-0370. Lowes carrys these belts. You may find the belt numbers as 954 or 754. Both are the same.
 
  #5  
Old 04-14-10, 01:31 PM
5dollaralien's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2009
Location: roanoke valley/Franklin county
Posts: 126
I have a new pix belt with the right numbers, and the owner has the rear belt new with the numbers stamped on the belt. I used a pix belt for the rear on my mtd and it seems fine never adjusted or anything. But I am now aware of the differences so will probably replace them and see what happens, cause the front belt like I said looks worn and maybe this and all the above could be the problem. Thanks for the heads up
 
  #6  
Old 04-14-10, 01:42 PM
SeattlePioneer's Avatar
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Seattle, Wa
Posts: 5,503
Originally Posted by 5dollaralien View Post
Got a little frustrated after adjusting it like 5 times with no luck


The learning curve for DIYers often involves doing tasks repeatedly until you figure out how to do them right.

Usually pros have the depth of knowledge and experience that allows them to do things right the first time, but even pros sometimes get nailed doing things several times from time to time.


That was my experience as a furnace repairman, anyway. 95% of the time I could do things right pretty promptly. The other 5% was a pain.


I'm not sure, but for DIYers, perhaps 40% of tasks are a pain, and the 5% you may not be able to figure out at all.

That's my experience as a DIYers, anyway!


Sometimes you eat the bear, sometimes the bear eats you. The bears feast better and get fat on we DIYers, by and large.


Of course, some DIYers have real talent and experience, and a few can do really amazing stuff. But most of us have definite limitations.
 
Reply

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes