Craftsman 6HP Tiller won't start..

Old 04-14-10, 11:10 AM
Craftsman 6HP Tiller won't start..

Hello all,

I have a Craftsman Tiller (917.292490) that wouldn't start about a month ago. I cleaned the carb. and that didn't work. I purchased a rebuild kit for the carb. and that didn't work. I ordered a new carb. (696065) and that didn't work either. The compression seems good and the new spark plug I purchased has a nice blue/white spark. It also has a new filter and pre-cleaner.

Things I have also tried:

1. Starter fluid in the spark plug hole. Removed the plug afterwards and just saw thin smoke in the hole, but it never started.
2. Placed a couple of squirts of gasoline in the plug hole. It rumbled for a second, but never started.

The only time the spark plug gets wet is when I squirt something in the hole. Pulling the string to start it doesn't make the plug wet with gas..

Tiller Info.
6HP Craftsman Tiller (Front Tine) - 917.292490
Engine - Briggs/Stratton - Model 110402/Type 0206-E1
Carb. - 696065

Thanks,

jnt412.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-10, 04:54 PM
You have an oil sensor on your engine. That could be bad.

Old 04-14-10, 07:55 PM
Originally Posted by indypower1 View Post
You have an oil sensor on your engine. That could be bad.
I may have just found the problem. After doing a compression test, the results where around 35psi which is too low. I decided to take the head gasket off and inspect further which resulted in me finding a bent push rod. The valve it pushes is for the fuel intake (from carb) which was actually stuck and resulted in the bent rod. The other push rod for the exaust valve was still straight.

After some minor cleaning with carb. cleaner I was actually able to free the stuck valve but will need to give the OHV's a more detailed cleaning to get rid of the gunk. In the meantime, I need to order a new head gasket and two push rods..

Old 04-22-10, 11:54 AM
I installed the new parts a few days ago and now the tiller is working fine. I also installed a fuel filter near the fuel intake at the carb.