JD LT155 reverse problem

Old 04-18-10, 09:26 AM
JD LT155 reverse problem

When I push the back up button it allows the tractor to go backwards for a second or two and then begins to die as if the button had never been pushed. I'm assuming that the switch is going bad but would appreciate any input.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-10, 10:56 AM
might be a defective safety switch that thinks you still have the blades engaged

Old 04-18-10, 03:49 PM
The blade is engaged.

It is designed to cut going both directions.

Old 04-20-10, 06:44 AM
The reverse button is required only if the blades are engaged.

The switch is most likely completing a circuit when the button is depressed, so it can be bypassed to check operation. Simply remove the two wires from the back of the switch and join them electrically (using electrical tape, etc., to prevent shorting to ground). If the switch is defective, then the tractor will now work in reverse (with blades engaged) without dying. Obviously, you have no safety interlock at that point and must use all service shop precautions to avoid injury.

There is a possibility (I don't have a wiring diagram!) that the switch breaks (rather than completes) a circuit when the button is depressed. If so, to test would be to separate the two wires. So try that as well is the tractor still dies after the first test.

Old 04-20-10, 09:32 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
As I recall, the switch is integrated with a printed circuit control board. Check the connections to it and the connectors, and if no problems are found to be obvious, you probably need a new one. When it dies, can you quickly hit the switch again and keep it running?

Old 04-22-10, 05:39 PM
Back up problem

Yes, if I push the botton quickly it revs back up and runs fine.

Old 04-23-10, 01:04 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'd say the switch assy is bad or the connections to it are bad. It could also be that the blade switch or reverse switch is intermittently losing connection, resetting the reverse interlock controls. I'd start by cleaning the connections to the switch assy and the pto and reverse switches. I think you'll wind up having to replace the button/switch assembly though.

Old 04-24-10, 01:54 PM
Thanks everyone.

I took your advice and bypassed the switch. Worked like a charm.

Search this Thread