Husqvarna 128LD temporarily bogs when accelerating

Old 04-18-10, 04:18 PM
Husqvarna 128LD temporarily bogs when accelerating

Have a 2 stroke Husqvarna 128LD trimmer. Lately it has started to bog down when I give it gas to accelerate. This is only for a few seconds and if I let up and then accelerate slowly it is fine. Runs great at speed and idles fine though I did have to adjust idle today to slow it down some, trimmer would not stop turning at idle. Manual says it must stop at idle.
I suspect it is running lean but is there a mixture adjustment on these. It uses a Zama carb and there is mention of a catalytic converter incorporated into the muffler. I just got this last year and use it around the house, no commercial use. Using Husqvarna two stroke oil and regular unleaded fuel. Fresh fuel in it. Any way to adjust these carbs?
Thanks,
Rob

Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-10, 04:35 PM
No adjusting screws on that. EPA made it mandatory to have fixed jets on all carbs.
I would not think Tennesse would have a cat on it. California 2 cyle engines require a cat.

Old 04-18-10, 05:47 PM
Well, I was just looking at the condition of the plug (original from last year) and it is an rcj 8y and the manual calls for an rcj 6y. Could the difference in heat range cause the bogging? Gap was still dead on and plug looked good. Going now to get the right one.
Rob

Old 04-18-10, 06:36 PM
Sounds like you need to clean carburetor. Carburetors do not normally get out of adjustment. Many people start trying to correct a running condition by adjusting the carburetor. When I have a small engine start running poorly with dirty carb. symptoms, I remove the carb, clean and return the adjustment screws to their original position. Of course there is a small amount of wear to the "idle speed" screw that has to be dealt with.
Many people will disagree with this OPINION, but I have engines that have been run for 20 or more years and the adjustment screws are basically where they were when first PROPERLY adjusted.

Old 04-19-10, 04:40 AM
I swapped out the plug for one that is correct heat range. Not sure if that will help with bogging down or not.
I am not positive it has a cat on it, it was mentioned in manual that they have cats
But stands to reason that that would be a California only item. I am having a heck of a time
Locating a service manual on ebay or anywhere else for this. Does it go by some other designation
Other than 128LD?
Thx,
Rob

Old 08-24-10, 02:32 PM
Did the new plug fix it?

Rob,

Did switching the plug help the problem?
I am having the same issue and have found a few other forums discussing the same issue. To fixes found though? It seems to be a common problem.

I've only used my trimmer 15ish times. I would expect more from a 'Consumer Reports Best Buy'.