How do you tighten the tension on a John Deere riding mower?

Old 04-21-10, 04:56 PM
How do you tighten the tension on a John Deere riding mower?

I have a John Deere 150 riding lawn tractor and I am experiencing issues where it does not go at all or it is very sluggish when you push down the pedal. This does not happen all the time and I am pretty sure it is just a tension issue. Much to my saddness, when I found my manual, it was the one in Spanish. Any pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-10, 05:25 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
LA150, LT150, or?...

It sounds like you may just need a new belt if it isn't tight enough. Most mowers don't have a way to adjust the belt.

Old 04-21-10, 05:39 PM
It is a LA 150. The guy from the John Deere shop said there was a spring that could be used to adjust it but was of little more help than that

Old 04-21-10, 05:46 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
There is a spring that keeps tension on it, but not to adjust it... to my knowledge. I'm not looking at a diagram at the moment, but I don't believe there is an actual adjustment for the belt. I think your belt has worn and glazed and needs replacing.

Old 04-21-10, 05:55 PM
Appreciate the info. I guess I'll dig into tomorrow and see what's going on.

Old 04-21-10, 06:13 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Just guessing here, but look for a pulley that seized up due to lack of lubrication, then was chewed up by the belt passing over the seized up pulley.

Old 04-21-10, 07:01 PM
((I have a John Deere 150 riding lawn tractor and I am experiencing issues where it does not go at all or it is very sluggish when you push down the pedal. ))

I don't think it's supposed to go if you push the pedal..... Is the pedal the clutch??? If so it may be issues with the belt as I think the unit should NOT move if you have the pedal down,,,This is also the brake...Correct???? Roger

Old 04-22-10, 01:08 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
It has a foot pedal controlled hydro tranny.

Old 04-22-10, 06:42 PM
Thanks cheese,, I have a yard full of MTD's so I was thinking of them.. Thanks for fixing that up for me as I missed it being a Hydro.... Roger

Old 04-22-10, 06:45 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Hi Hoppy,
MTD also has a line of mowers with an "automatic" drive. It is actually just a variable speed pulley arrangement but it also uses a foot pedal to engage the belt, not dis engage.

FYI

Old 04-22-10, 07:12 PM
BFH..
The ones I'm thinking of (& working on) have the 2 belts with the ""Varispeed"" pulley in between the 2 belts.. They drive with your foot off the pedal & stop when you press the pedal.... Maybe I'm thinking of something else,, but I can drive the units without pushing any pedals & push a pedal to stop,, Lock the Park Brake & get off to pick up the ""Land Mine"" the Dog left for unsuspecting people in the yard!!! Roger