Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Husqvarna YTH2148; blades, motor, lights quit; battery good

TX

04-22-10, 05:08 AM   #1  
Husqvarna YTH2148; blades, motor, lights quit; battery good

While mowing, the blades quit and the motor died. When I turned the key, nothing happened. The lights won't even come on. However, I hooked other lights to the battery and they burn bright so the battery is good. I checked a 20 amp fuse in the line; although it was covered with sand, I cleaned it out and it does not appear to be burned out. It does seem as though I may have had times in the past when I turned the key to crank the mower and nothing happened just as though the battery was dead. However the battery is about a year old, and once I turned the key again, the mower would crank right up. Also, while mowing the last few times, the blades and or motor would seem to briefly stall as though I had stood up off of the seat and the automatic kill switch would engage (but I did not stand up and the automatic switch has been disconnected for a couple of years. Does anyone have any advice? It would seem to me to be either the ignition switch or perhaps the PTO switch. Although I remember the mower will not crank when the PTO switch is engaged, I can't remember whether the lights would come on when you turn the ignition switch with the PTO switch engaged. Perhaps the answer to this would help isolate the problem between the two switches. Also, when I turn the key to the light position, I do hear a click, but they don't come on.

Last edited by redwasp; 04-22-10 at 05:34 AM. Reason: adding additional info

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-23-10, 01:21 AM   #2  
You're going to have to do some tracing with at least a test light. Do you have one? If so, do you have power at the small trigger wire plugged onto the side of the solenoid when trying to start it? There are lots of things it could be.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

TX

04-24-10, 07:06 AM   #3  

Found the problems; as for the lights, the wires had burned together; after much trial and error, I inadvertently discovered 3 wires at the back of the mower toward the transmission which were hanging loose as though the bolt had come loose. I don't know where they went, but I bolted them to the frame and all works fine now. Thanks for your help.

Search this Thread