Kohler Motor Help

Old 04-22-10, 10:07 PM
Kohler Motor Help

Hello everyone I recently purchased a older model cushman golf cart with a 10hp kohler motor I believe its a K-Series motor. I was told that it was running when it was parked but that was a couple years ago. So I've been trying to get it going again and have run into a little trouble.

Right now it will only run with the choke on. You can play with the choke and keep it running prettty good. Push the choke off and it falls on its face and dies almost immediatly. With the choke on it fires right up but doesn't rev all the way out and doesn't pull very good.

I've removed gas tank and cleaned it, removed all the fuel lines and replaced them with clear fuel lines and new filter, I cleaned the carb but didn't fully disassemble it and soak it just sprayed it out with carb cleaner. I replaced the spark plug aswell.

I've noticed right past the manual fuel pump there is alot of air getting into the line somehow??? Its not comming thru the line from the tank. Theres about a 6 inch line from the pump to the carb and I can see quite a bit of air bubbling inside it. The lines not loose so I guess something is up inside the pump but I dont know much about these things so could something in there be causing this? Motor sounds like its in good shape I believe its just something minor to get it lined out but it sure is being a headache.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

James

Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-10, 12:51 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The carb needs to be cleaned. You can't do it properly without taking it apart.

Old 04-23-10, 09:21 AM
Any comments on the air in the fuel line past the fuel pump? Its not comming from the gas tank it appears somehow the pump is sucking air or something. I disassembled it and nothing appeared to be wrong, gasket was in good shape.

I also took the bowl and jets out of the carb and gave them a good spray with carb cleaner.

Motor is still doing the samething. Only runs with choke on.

I'm going to town today to buy some cleaner I can soak the carb in. Any do's and dont's when soaking the carb and anything I should pay special attention to?

Thanks for the help

James

Old 04-24-10, 01:49 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Check to see how much fuel is actually pumping to the carb by dropping the carb bowl and cranking the engine while watching how much fuel comes out of the carb (catch it in a container to keep it off the ground). If it has sufficient flow, the air you are seeing isn't causing the problem. If air is being sucked into the fuel lines, it would decrease the amount of fuel pumped to the carb, so it is something to look at. Even so, since it is getting enough fuel to run well by playing with the choke, I still think it's a carb problem.

When soaking the carb, do follow directions on the can, don't soak any rubber parts.

Old 04-25-10, 07:59 PM
thanks for the help cheese. Haven't got to work on it this weeked but I bought some chem dip and a rebuild kit for the carb. I'll post the results this week.

Old 04-26-10, 07:18 PM
I also think youhave a carb problem, but there is the outside chance that you need to check the points which affect timing. The points on a "K" series Kohler are external and easily checked for pitting and to set them. When you replaced the spark plug, did you set the gap? What did you set it at?

Old 04-28-10, 02:52 AM
well when you install carb kit you will most likely replace the intake gasket which also could be sucking air and give same run result. I would go from one end to the other. check fuel supply to kit the carb and do a complete tuneup as Bontai Joe suggests
good luck

Old 04-28-10, 05:12 AM
It does sound like a carb problem. However, Kohlers are extremly sensitive to the gas filter used on them. Post the model number of the engine and I will get you the correct part number for the gas filter.