Upper Level On Small Engine Ownership

Old 04-24-10, 07:51 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upper Level On Small Engine Ownership

I'm guessing that there is some maximum theoretical number of small engines a DIYer can own. This must have to do with the number of carburetors someone can keep clean, oil changes, keeping gas fresh and other such maintenance issues.

Beyond a certain point, you have time to do nothing else.

It seems it's a lot easier to acquire more small engine products than it is to maintain them properly.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-10, 08:06 PM
I have a 30 year old snowblower, (the paddle wheel kind) I use all the time, a 15 yr old lawnmower & a 8 year old weedwacker... This doesn't include my 1952 Reo lawnmower or the 1954 Lawnboy snowblower.. as well as the 1967 Moto Mower Snow Shark snowblower with 2 augers in it that can out thro any modern machine,,, I run them all yearly & it's mostly for the fun of it... The Neighbor is walking his Dog & I have the old Reo out to cut the grass,, & it's amasing how much time people will watch me run this old stuff,,..If you think of it as keeping a museum & running the stuff once in a while, it's a sport,, You have to have fun.... & only limited to the room in the garage... Roger

Old 04-25-10, 11:34 AM
Yes, Hopkins, I'm sorta aiming at becoming a small engine hobbyist. I'd like to be able to get equipment working and to collect some interesting old pieces of equipment like you are doing.

Old outboard engines.... I imagine that's a topic by itself. There are loads of those for sale on Craiglist around here.

I saw some u-tube videos of people who replaced outboard engines with lawnmower engines --- that seemed pretty keen!

People in western Washington don't have much use for snowblowers, but it would be neat to plow up the street and sidewalks on the rare occasion when we do get significant amounts of snow.

Old 04-25-10, 06:16 PM
I have something around 12 engines to maintain, and yeah, about half right this minute need some work. I know a fella not too far from me that has at least 150 machines in his collection. His all run (better maintenance I guess, or better gas with no ethanol).

Old 04-25-10, 08:19 PM
I'd be glad to hear about some of your collection of equipment --- what it does, where you got it and what you plan to do with it.

How do small engine hobbyists manage their collections?

Old 04-26-10, 05:16 AM
My collection at home to maintain is comprised of 5 riders, each used differently on my 5 acres, 2 weedeaters, 2 pushmowers, 3 tillers, 2 wheeled trimmers, 14 chainsaws and 1 neighbor's ZTR, plus, 2 riders, 2 weedeaters, 1 pushmower and 1 snowblower at church.

Keep them in out of the weather, change oil when it gets dirty, keep air filter clean and use fresh gas. Mix Sta-Bil in fuel in early fall.

Last edited by GlenM; 04-26-10 at 05:16 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-26-10, 12:26 PM
Upper Level on Small Engine ownership

SEATTLEPIONEER said "I'm guessing that there is some maximum theoretical number of small engines a DIYer can own."

That is part of a larger overall rule, that says, "THE MORE STUFF YOU HAVE, THE HARDER IT IS TO KEEP IT ALL WORKING". With that in mind, most repairs here finish much stronger than the original design, exhaust systems are 304 stainless steel, etc etc. Stuff built before the 80s seems to last far longer, some of mine goes back to the 30s. Bruce Roe

Old 04-26-10, 07:13 PM
My collection is split between 2 homes. At my mom's house is a Deere 1978 316 garden tractor, runs as good as the day it was new, a 1970's vintage Ariens snowblower bought as a non-running project still waiting for me to get to it, a Murray 21" self propelled mower, needs a little carb work, but does run, a W. W. Grinder wood chipper that needs a carb rebuild, and soon a Troy-Bilt wood chipper that runs. Attachments for the 316 include a wood chipper, snow blower and a 54" hydraulic front blade. At my house is a Deere 1982 316 Garden tractor not running for the past 5 years (waiting for me to rewire it), a Deere 210 currently not running and I don't know why yet, a non-running MTD tractor gotten for free because I wanted the wheel weights (I'll salvage some parts off it and scrap the rest), a McCullouch string trimmer that I curse every time I see it, a 25 year old Homelite chain saw that owes me nothing, and still runs like new, a Simplicity snow blower bought non-running for $15 as a project (still waiting for me to fix).. Attachments for the Deere tractors are 2 snowblowers, 2 front blades and 2 carts. Also have a 15 year old cheapo Walmart mower that runs like new, even though most of the paint is gone, and one front wheel is a little woogitty. I think that's everything? All the equipment was bought with using it in mind. No trailer queens. My problem the past few years has been no time to work on them. Including my commute time I average 65 to 75 hours a week at 2 jobs. The Mrs, enjoys having me spend a few hours with her each week, not much left for anything else.

Old 04-27-10, 12:48 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I don't even know how many small engine powered things I have. The stuff I stay on top of for the most part are my Kubota front deck diesel mower (love the diesel...no carb problems even if it sits unused for a year or two). A deere water cooled lx188, a 25 year old craftsman that still runs great, an old wheelhorse tractor set up for sled puling, a MTD push mower, a shindaiwa string trimmer, an echo string trimmer, an echo blower, a stihl 009 chainsaw, a husquvarna 61 chainsaw, a 13hp honda pressure washer, a 18 hp vanguard powered generator, a 8hp briggs powered generator, 2 honda powered air compressors, and there's probably something I'm forgetting. I also have some that I am not keeping operable all the time like an antique ride-king 3 wheel mower, deere gt275, deere lx188, deere 110, old mtd 1400 (the big heavy mtds from the past that could actually do garden work), a couple old kohler engines, a couple old clinton engines, a couple spare generators, another honda compressor, several stihl and husquvarna saws, and then if you count the stuff of mine that belongs to the shop, there is a huge pile of stuff. The stuff that stays operable is only that way because I use it frequently enough for it to be that way.

Old 04-27-10, 02:09 AM
I forgot to mention my B&S 8hp 44" Swisher trail mower. Neighbor was getting ready to take to re-cycle cause it was pumping oil. He gave it me. Got it home, took dipstick out, oil ran out, changed oil, cleaned carb, been using it ever since for pasture behind the '96 MTD 20(ONAN)/50 GT.

Amazing how much 'stuff' we can accumulate, especially if you're in repair.

Cheese and Bontai have good quality equipment with Deere and Kubota, Echo, etc.,

Interestingly enough, we've also got 15-25 yr old Walmart, Sears units that still run strong. I keep bagger attachment on my 1989 walmart Murray 12/38, which was my main rider for many years.

Old 04-27-10, 06:17 AM
Wow, you guys have got great collections of equipment!

I'd never heard of a "Swisher Trail Mower," so I found this on the web:

Swisher Mower & Machine Co.: Products: Trail Mowers

Old 04-27-10, 06:32 AM
Mine's a '97 44" model. 8hp briggs started 1st pull yesterday, after sitting since Nov.