Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Dana Transaxle D4360-140

NY

04-25-10, 06:01 PM   #1  
Dana Transaxle D4360-140

Hi-

All this is new to me, so I hope I am following all the rules! Here is my question....My Craftsman mower was making a grinding sound so a friend came over to take a look. We took the back cover off to expose the transaxle and when revealing the pinion (I don't know if I spelled that right), he noticed that one of the washers that goes over the pinoin is oval on the inside. His thought was that this was allowing the pinion to move too much so maybe if we ordered a new washer it wld correct the problem. Is this true? Any feedback wld really be appreciated! Thank you so much!

Ms. Jame

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-26-10, 12:19 AM   #2  
No, unfortunately not. Does the pinion shaft move back and forth in the top of the tranny case? If so, the shaft bearings are bad and the top of the tranny must be removed to replace them.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

NY

04-27-10, 11:48 AM   #3  
I shared your response with my friend who looked at the mower and he sd. he found an input shaft assembly (which includes the bearings, shaft and all the washers), would it be a good idea to purchase this and replace it? Thank you for sharing your expertise and for your time and energy!
Jamie

NY

04-27-10, 11:51 AM   #4  
Oops! I forgot...are bearings available (as parts to purchase)? He checked with Sears and they do not give parts numbers for them? Again...thanks!

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-27-10, 10:44 PM   #5  
Most mower shops should have them in stock or be able to order them for you using the tranny numbers.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread