Toro recycler will not start

Old 04-16-10, 05:21 AM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Toro recycler will not start

Personal Pace -- 2003 model -- had turned on side to remove blade and sharpen. Upon starting engine was making knocking sound and stopped soon thereafter -- would not restart -- with only occasional backfire seen. Realized oil was low at that time as well -- anything that could be done?

Old 04-16-10, 07:10 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I've had that happen. If you turn the mower on the side with the air filter on the bottom side, it usually gets filled with oil.

You need to remove and clean the oil filter --- if it's saturated with oil that should be obvious. clean it up and give it a try.

If you are going to stand the mower on edge, be sure that the air filter is up which usually means that the oil filler cap is down.

But frankly, I'm no Xpert. I'm learning this stuff the hard way and you can wait and see if this suggestion is confirmed or contradicted by others.

Old 04-16-10, 08:41 AM
G
Received 31 Upvotes on 29 Posts
I agree, if it was tipped with the carb down you may have oil in all the wrong places, clean/replace the air filter if necessary, tilt it with the carb up and let it set for a while to let oil in the intake find it's way back home. When it does start it will probably smoke for a while. Have a good one. Geo

Old 04-26-10, 05:40 PM
M
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I have a similar issue with my personal pace Toro mower. I tipped the mower on it's side to empty the oil and then changed the blade. I also changed the air filter. Ever since, it starts easy enough but surges to almost dieing and then back to full power momentarily and then starts the same thing over. After about 5 minutes it kind of levels out but I dont think it's developing full power. Thought maybe some debris in the fuel filter, but according to the parts manual, it doesn't have one.

Ideas?

thanks,

Brad

Old 04-27-10, 12:52 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Nova, take a look at the air filter and change the spark plug. You probably didn't damage anything.

Marcrumb, sounds like something got sucked up in the carb and has partially clogged it. I suggest cleaning it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: