Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Switch to start Brigg&Stratton motor

MI

04-25-10, 07:24 PM   #1  
Switch to start Brigg&Stratton motor

Hello,

I built a mudmotor with 7.5 hp Briggs and Stratton motor with electric start. To use the electic start now I touch the wires to the battery to start it. I would like a button to push to start the motor, but I am not sure what kind of switch to get. I thought maybe I could find one cheap on ebay? Any help is greatly appericated.

Thanks in advance,
Darrell

Sponsored Links

TX

04-25-10, 07:40 PM   #2  
Almost any pushbutton switch you find will not handle the amps required to turn the starter.You just need a starter solenoid sold in the lawn mower dept of Lowes or for a little more $ a ford style from an auto parts store and a pushbutton momentary cotact switch.If you buy the one from Lowes be sure it only has one small wire post/connector on it. Run 8 or 10 ga. wire from the batt + post to one of the large lugs on the solenoid. Also run a small(14 or 16 ga) wire from the same lug on the solenoid to one side of the pushbutton sw. Now run a 8 or 10 gauge wire from the other large solenoid lug to the starter lug. Then run a 14 or 16 ga wire from the other side of the pushbutton sw. to the small lug on the solenoid. It will be either a threaded post or blade connector. It should work fine. Be sure the solenoid frame is grounded to either the motor frame or the negative batt post.
HTH,
Mike

MI

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-27-10, 01:03 AM   #4  
For an engine that size, just pick up a pushbutton switch for a snapper riding mower. It is made to handle the amperage.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread