Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Briggs 16HP L-Head not Starting

IA

04-28-10, 01:13 PM   #1  
Briggs 16HP L-Head not Starting

I have a riding lawn mower that was working when I parked it last year and now I can't get the thing to start.

Info:

Briggs 16 HP Twin II (1996/1997 time frame)
L Head

Model : 42D707
Type : 1280 01
Code : 9512205A

The engine has a little blow by and before parking it for the winter I put stabilizer in the fuel, let the kids drive it around a little while and then I pulled it in the shop and shut it off.

The engine has fuel to the carburetor and a good spark. Ive put fuel down the carb throat and also tried a little either but not even a hint of a fire.

Ive pulled the heads to make sure I didnt have a stuck valve and they all move as expected.

When turning the motor over (heads on) the carb doesnt suck but rather spits out a little bit. Had I done anything but drive it into the shop and park it for the winter Id say the timing was off.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Rick

Sponsored Links

IA

04-28-10, 07:11 PM   #2  
Re: Briggs 16HP L-Head not Starting

Nevermind,

Real dumb on my part! The can of ether I was using was all but out but I thought it was enough for the old motor. A new can of either and it started. Still needed a little shot of either off and on for the first couple minutes to stay running while it was "burning" all the "junk" but then it was good to go.

Thanks,

Rick

TX

04-28-10, 09:25 PM   #3  
sorta falls in to the "HIND SIGHT-20/20/ " catagory!
LOL

Search this Thread