Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Gas spewing out of muffler when starting

MN

04-29-10, 08:05 AM   #1  
Gas spewing out of muffler when starting

Hi,

I have a 3.5 BS lawn mower. This spring I noticed that the gas tank would be bone dry when I went to use it again. Now, when I fill the tank a bit and try to start it I get gas spewing out of the muffler.

If I turn the throttle down to 'Turtle' it will start but run funny.

Any ideas to get this thing running again?

Trip

Sponsored Links

NY

04-29-10, 10:33 AM   #2  
Gasoline

My experiance with a b&s engine with a less than desirable walbro carb is much the same as you. Actually I at first thought that the battery was low, as it was cranking over slowly and stopping on the compression stroke, and when it finally started raw gas spit out of the exhaust. I now know that the needle and seat assy was not holding. If that gas ever ignited in my wooden shed, I would probably made the local papers, and mabey the TV. The simple solution was to put in a fuel shut off valve, the long range fix is to rebuild the so in so carb, someday
Sid

Forum Topic Moderator

KS

04-29-10, 11:16 AM   #3  
Check your oil level, when you find it way overfull, CHANGE IT! Likely it has been diluted with fuel and will not prolong the life of the engine if ran that way. May even cause hydro lock causing serious engine damage.

Fix the carb is THE solution. First time you forget to turn the fuel valve off, you set yourself up for the same thing all over again.

OK

04-29-10, 12:45 PM   #4  
Tripper

Does the carb sit on top of the gas tank on this unit?

MN

04-29-10, 01:34 PM   #5  
The carb is on the side of the engine.

NH

04-29-10, 03:57 PM   #6  
can you post the engine numbers please?

MN

04-29-10, 05:50 PM   #7  
Now that I look, I'm not sure if the engine is a BS or not. It has a primer (that I've never had to use) so that makes me wonder. I've just had such good luck with starting and running I figured it was a BS.

The mower is a Hardware Hank so they probably just bought the engines from BS or Tecumseh. Here's what it says on the shroud: TVS90 43364F SER 9102B

If anyone has the resources to decifer this please let me know. I'd like to work on her this weekend if possible.

As always, any info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Trip

OK

04-29-10, 06:49 PM   #8  
As I suspected, you have a Tecumseh, not a B&S.

http://search.cartserver.com/search/...3364F&go=GO%21

NH

04-29-10, 08:25 PM   #9  
The TVS90 is indeed a Tecumseh engine.
The problem is that the needle is not shutting off the gas.
The most common problem with the Tecumsehs is the float are nortorious for developing leaks and allowing gas to fill the float thus making them more of a "sinker" than a float.
Float, needle & seat need to be replaced.

MN

04-30-10, 11:31 AM   #10  
Thank you to everyone who responded to this post.

I truely appreciate the helpful information!

Trip

Search this Thread