Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

trouble in paradise

TN

04-29-10, 02:35 PM   #1  
trouble in paradise

Mowing the lawn should be a thing of relaxation. But when you have a mower like mine, you will NEVER be able to relax on the trip home knowing that the first thing you must do is get the mower running before actually using it. I have a Briggs 16.5 hp OHV engine that will not turn over. New battery, new solenoid, new starter. I am under the assumption that one of my safety cut-off switches is bad. How do check them? Also, I can jump the starter off with jumper cables, and it turns over, but it does not fire...fouled plug? And when it does not start, it shoots fuel out the exhaust...is this a major problem, or is it due to the plug not firing?? Please help, thanks Jimmy B.!!

Sponsored Links

IA

04-29-10, 02:50 PM   #2  
The starting problem could be in the ignition switch. Get a cheap continuity tester and check for current at the solenoid on the small wire. If none, go back to the ignition switch and check for output.

If you have current at the solenoid it's likely a connection/cable problem. If current in at the switch and nothing out to the solenoid, then the switch is corroded.

The gas out the exhaust is backwards of your diagnosis. The plug is fouled and not firing because of too much gas in the combustion chamber and that would be coming from the leaking float valve in the carburetor, most likely.

That will have to be fixed and the oil changed to get rid of any fuel in the oil.

Then you can have a relaxing day mowing (if your wife leaves you alone ).

NH

04-29-10, 03:53 PM   #3  
I agree with marbobj. Carb needs a good cleaning and ne needle & seat.
Also, how long has it been this way? While your at it, you might want to check the valve lash. Improper valve lash can prevent the engine from starting and/or make it run like crap when it does start.

CANADA

04-29-10, 07:02 PM   #4  
if when trying normally it does absolutely nothing but cranks but won't fire up if you jump directly to the starter I suspect you have double safety switch issues possibly on the deck pto as it usually has 2 switches, one prevents cranking and the other prevents spark (in conjunction with seat and reverse switches)

TN

04-30-10, 06:39 AM   #5  
Thanks alot guys...I really appreciate your help, and I will try your tips as soon as I can. We have a monsoon headed our way, supposed to get 9-12 inches of rain over the next couple of days, so I will have nothing better to do. I will keep you guys posted...thanks again.

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

WA

04-30-10, 04:00 PM   #6  
The heck with mowing the lawn!

Here's how to be prepared for your impending flood:

YouTube - Homamade lawnmower outboard

Search this Thread