Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Jonsared Chainsaw flywheel key

NH

04-30-10, 09:19 AM   #1  
Jonsared Chainsaw flywheel key

A friernd has a Jonsared 535 chainsaw. I believe the flywheel key is sheared due to the fact that it takes a 600 lb gorilla standing on the saw to pull it over. Since I do almost nothing for repairs on the small 2 cycle engines, due to my fat fingers not being able to get into the cramped space, just wondering waht would cause the key to shear on a chainsaw. When the chain gets stuck while sawing, should the clutch kick out before shearing the key?

Sponsored Links

TX

04-30-10, 09:25 AM   #2  
i have an old 'craftsman' 20" saw, that you can't pull through - without using the compression release feature.
does this thing have such?

NH

04-30-10, 12:23 PM   #3  
no compresion release on this 1.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-30-10, 03:50 PM   #4  
If the clutch is fully engaged and the saw comes to a sudden halt, the key can definitely shear.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Non-US

04-30-10, 11:44 PM   #5  
Indy,, I beleive the key is part of the flywheel on these.. Pull it apart & take a look... If it's O.K,, Then I'd be thinking the ignition coil has gone bad,, & the reason I'm saying that is we had 1/2 dozen Stihl weed trimmers that acted as the key broke.. All was fine on inspection but the coil fixed them up,, I think something went wrong in the spark advance part of them.....Roger

Search this Thread