Jonsared Chainsaw flywheel key

Old 04-30-10, 09:19 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Jonsared Chainsaw flywheel key

A friernd has a Jonsared 535 chainsaw. I believe the flywheel key is sheared due to the fact that it takes a 600 lb gorilla standing on the saw to pull it over. Since I do almost nothing for repairs on the small 2 cycle engines, due to my fat fingers not being able to get into the cramped space, just wondering waht would cause the key to shear on a chainsaw. When the chain gets stuck while sawing, should the clutch kick out before shearing the key?

Old 04-30-10, 09:25 AM
N
i have an old 'craftsman' 20" saw, that you can't pull through - without using the compression release feature.
does this thing have such?

Old 04-30-10, 12:23 PM
no compresion release on this 1.

Old 04-30-10, 03:50 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 54 Votes on 49 Posts
If the clutch is fully engaged and the saw comes to a sudden halt, the key can definitely shear.

Old 04-30-10, 11:44 PM
Indy,, I beleive the key is part of the flywheel on these.. Pull it apart & take a look... If it's O.K,, Then I'd be thinking the ignition coil has gone bad,, & the reason I'm saying that is we had 1/2 dozen Stihl weed trimmers that acted as the key broke.. All was fine on inspection but the coil fixed them up,, I think something went wrong in the spark advance part of them.....Roger

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: