Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Lawn Boy Electric start or pull start?

OH

05-01-10, 05:12 PM   #1  
Lawn Boy Electric start or pull start?

I purchased a new trim mower. Self-propelled rear wheel drive Lawn Boy 21", still in box. They are guaranteed for 3 yrs to start on 2 pulls. The electric starts were available and cost is not a problem. I'm thinkin more parts to break down on electric starts. I was told newer motors don't have the hydraulic lock, (that would lock up pull rope and try and pull your fingers off your hands). (1)Are there any advantages to electric start that should be considered? (2) What can I expect out of the guarantee about starting on 2 pulls for 3 yrs? is that worth anything or just marketing hype?
Thanks for any input! Beer 4U2

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

OH

05-01-10, 05:46 PM   #2  
For someone with physical problems ( shoulder, arthritis, etc.) the electric start would be a blessing. As you say many engines start with far less pulling power than they used to.
With an electric start, you do add the weight of the starter and battery although being self propelled overcomes the added weight.

As to the guarantee, Lawn Boy is a respected name but you really need to analyse the fine print to see what they will do if it fails to start as advertised.

Woody

You can trust your car - and a whole lot more - to the man who wears a star.

Search this Thread