Getting the right fuel

Old 05-02-10, 01:30 PM
Getting the right fuel

I have a new Stihl trimmer, and going through the manual I saw I needed 89 octane or better gasoline. I went to the gas station and filled up a gallon container to use for the oil/fuel mix.

Later on it occurred to me that some fuel within the system's transmission lines must be left over from the last use. I only pulled a gallon of gas through the pump. What percentage of that might be 87 octane from the last buyer? Should I have pumped some into my car first to be safe? If so, how much?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-10, 01:32 PM
Super Moderator
Be more concerned about not keeping old fuel for more than a few months...some people say less depending on where you live.

EDIT Hmm reread your post...and thats a good question...lets see what the pros say. One of the pumps with the long hose on a cable could prob contain 1/2 gal or so....

Old 05-02-10, 02:07 PM
Originally Posted by CybrMatt View Post

Later on it occurred to me that some fuel within the system's transmission lines must be left over from the last use. I only pulled a gallon of gas through the pump. What percentage of that might be 87 octane from the last buyer? Should I have pumped some into my car first to be safe? If so, how much?
Yes, pump at least 1 gal into car, or another container, first, then in container used for mix.
Lot of people don't think of that.
hth