Mower Problems

Old 05-02-10, 09:47 PM
Mower Problems

I have a Honda Harmony HRB215 mower. Its been sitting for few years, without gas in it. I drained the old oil out, put fresh oil and gas, installed a new air filter, and new spark plug. It started on the first pull and will only stay on with it engaged in the choke position. As soon as I put it in fast or slow it turns off. I mowed my lawn with it in the choke position and it did a good job even though the mower was at a low idle. Why does it shut off in fast or slow position?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-10, 11:23 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The carburetor needs to be cleaned. Something is clogging it (probably old gas that was still in the carb that dried and left varnish).

Old 05-03-10, 06:32 PM
Mower Problems

Thanks for the response Cheese. I actually cleaned out the carb, bowl and float today. Carb looked clean,bowl had some tarnish at the bottom, but I still did a thorough cleaning of it all. What I did notice when I had the air filter off was when it was in the choke position butterfly valve was closed (normal). When I put in the fast position, valve was fulley open (normal). But in the slow or off position valve stayed fulley openTo me it seems like it's an air-gas mixture problem, or one of these springs isn't doing what it's supposed too.

Old 05-03-10, 08:42 PM
As Cheese stated,the little passages & the jets get clogged up too... You'll probably have to take the carb apart,, soak it in a bath type cleaner & install a kit... If you don't want to buy the whole gallon of cleaner,, take the carb down to all of the metal parts & talk nice to your local OPE dealer when you buy the repair kit... I've a lot of people that DIY & if they buy the kit from me I'll soak the carb to help them out... Ask around,, maybe others will do this as well... Also if you search the site Geogrub has an excellent pic of what a clean main jet should look like (with the small hole) Good luck,,, Roger

Old 05-04-10, 06:45 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by D.A.N. View Post
Thanks for the response Cheese. I actually cleaned out the carb, bowl and float today. Carb looked clean,bowl had some tarnish at the bottom, but I still did a thorough cleaning of it all. What I did notice when I had the air filter off was when it was in the choke position butterfly valve was closed (normal). When I put in the fast position, valve was fulley open (normal). But in the slow or off position valve stayed fulley openTo me it seems like it's an air-gas mixture problem, or one of these springs isn't doing what it's supposed too.
This is normal when the engine is "NOT" running.

I agree with the carb diagnosis.

Old 05-04-10, 07:19 PM
Mower problems

Thanks for the responses. I would have thought a hole can of carb cleaner and disasembling the carb twice would be enough.lol. I'll do the soaking of the carb and a kit and get back to you all. Thanks again, Dan.

Search this Thread