Kohler Lawn mower engine

Old 05-04-10, 11:13 AM
Kohler Lawn mower engine

I have a riding mower with a Kohler SV715 engine. The engine has 32 hours running time. For the last couple of uses it has run a little rough at high RPM and when under load.

Today it was much worse. The engine misses and backfires (thick black smoke) and the exhaust fumes are eye watering. It feels like both RPMs and power are very low. The engine seems to idle OK and it runs fairly smooth at low speeds unloaded.

At the start of the season I changed the oil and replaced the air filter. I checked the plugs and they were clean and not worn. I did not replace the in line fuel filter. Is dirty gas the most probable cause of the problem? Anything else I should look for?

I just filled the tank and I don't want to empty it unless I have to.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-10, 10:58 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sounds like the choke is stuck closed or the air filter is clogged, causing a very rich running condition.

Old 05-06-10, 09:31 AM
Cheese - Thanks for the quick reply. Yesterday I removed the prefilter (it only had 4-5 hours on it) and the engine ran a bit smoother. I also replaced the gas line filter which did have some crud in it. It's not backfiring like it was but it still misses and seems to lack power. The missing is mostly for the 1st 3 or 4 minutes after the PTO is engaged.

The engine doesn't have a separate choke, just a throttle. It purrs at RPMs mid range and lower. I'm thinking that maybe it is just bad gas or crud in the carburator. Do you have any other suggestions?

Old 05-07-10, 10:53 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I would agree that the carb probably needs cleaning.