Moves slow

Old 05-06-10, 11:51 AM
Moves slow

Hi, Maybe someone can help me here. I have a older Snapper Rear riding mower. It was hard to get up a little hill so I sanded the plate on the shaft ( there was black all over the plate, so I took it all off ) and sprayed belt gripper on the clutch. Now it will not move in the grass. How to I fix this ?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-10, 04:42 PM
Clean off all the "belt gripper" crap off the pulley and install a new belt. If it wouldn't go up a hill, that is an indication that the belt is worn. The black on the plate was from the belt slipping.

Old 05-06-10, 05:07 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I had the self propel pulley seize up from lack of lubrication on a couple of mowers. On one the belt completely destroyed the pulley, on the other the belt had only gotten as far as wearing down a flat spot.

So you might want to check the pulley and see if it should be taken apart and greased.

Old 05-06-10, 07:54 PM
Don't start taking things apart, you need to replace the drive disc, the round disc with the rubber on the outside, I don't have the part number, however anyone that deals with rear engine snapper will know what it is. Tie the clutch/Brake down, stand it on end, remove the 4 bolts holding it on,watch for the thin anti chatter thing on the inside, replace with the new one and you are good to go. Have a good one. Geo

Old 05-06-10, 08:12 PM
Wink

Originally Posted by geogrubb View Post
Don't start taking things apart, you need to replace the drive disc, the round disc with the rubber on the outside, I don't have the part number, however anyone that deals with rear engine snapper will know what it is. Tie the clutch/Brake down, stand it on end, remove the 4 bolts holding it on,watch for the thin anti chatter thing on the inside, replace with the new one and you are good to go. Have a good one. Geo
Thanks man I will try that. Thats what I was thinking what had to be done.

Old 05-06-10, 09:33 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Agreed, don't worry about the belt as that is only for the blade. Replace the driven disk and clean the metal drive disk with carburetor cleaner to remove all residue of the transferred rubber and the belt dressing. Do not use the belt gripper on it or on anything for that matter....even on belts.