Unpredictable Honda WX-10

Old 05-07-10, 06:54 AM
Group Moderator
Unpredictable Honda WX-10

I have a Honda WX-10 water pump which uses one of Honda's GX25 mini 4 stroke engines. It starts easily and runs well at all throttle setting much of the time but it randomly and unpredictably misses, sometimes to the point that it will quit running. It does it when cold & hot and happens more often at higher throttle settings but it also occurs at idle sometimes. Fuel level in the tank has no affect on it and I have tried regular 87 octane fuel from multiple sources with no change. I have never found dirt on the fuel screen or in the carb. It will go through periods where it misses constantly for a few minutes then it will run smooth for 10 minutes then miss & sputter a few times then run fine till the tank runs dry. Totally unpredictable. The engine has about 5 hours on it an it has had this problem since day one.

I have other tools powered by GX35 & GX25 and I can keep them running flawlessly but the engine on this water pump is driving me crazy. Anyone have advice as to the problem?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-10, 10:45 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sounds like it could be a pinched kill wire, defective kill switch, or faulty spark plug... maybe with a cracked insulator.

Old 05-09-10, 03:32 PM
Group Moderator
Thanks for the tip. I'll see if I can find a new plug in town tomorrow. Currently it has a NGK CMR5H. I usually run the engine at low power settings and am getting some minor fouling so I might try a CMR4H.

Old 05-10-10, 05:17 PM
Group Moderator
I put in a new plug and used the pump for half an hour this evening and it never missed a beat. I don't want to jinx it without more run time but it looks like it might have simply been the plug.

I installed a NGK CMR4H which is one step hotter than the recommended plug since I never run the pump at full throttle and the correct plug showed signs of mild+ fouling. I'll have to remember to pull the hotter plug and see if it made a difference.

Old 05-12-10, 10:11 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Great! Glad it seems to be doing the trick!