Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Craftsman 5HP tiller runs rough

NC

05-08-10, 02:38 PM   #1  
Craftsman 5HP tiller runs rough

I have a Craftsman front tine tiller with a Craftsman 5HP engine. Its about 20+ years old.
Model 130202
type 3130 01
Code 87121727

It was running fine when I started the spring tilling. It recently started running really rough. It sounds, looks and smells (exhaust), and like the choke is on.
I removed the air filter and confirmed the choke is wide open. I also tried the adjustment screw, but that seems to have no effect.

The more gas I put in the tank the worse it runs, the less the better. The last few seconds before the tank runs dry, the engine sounds right.

It has a diaphragm style carburetor.

Any suggestions what I should be replacing or adjusting?

Thanks

Sponsored Links

IA

05-08-10, 03:23 PM   #2  
It needs a diaphragm kit put in it. Since it's an older tiller, put the complete kit in it. It's flooding out - probably with fuel going past the needle valve. When it about runs out of fuel the carb leans down to where it should be, but shortly runs out of fuel, so you can't count on doing that as a fix.

The kit shouldn't be too expensive, even the complete job.

NC

05-23-10, 09:26 AM   #3  
Thanks - Diaphragm kit solved the problem

I put in a diaphragm kit as you suggested yesterday, changed the oil with the help of my 5 year old, and it now runs like a top. Thanks for the advice.

It went so well, I was inspired to try to get my neglected chipper running. (I'll start a new thread for that one).

Thanks again

Search this Thread