drive shaft not turning on string trimmer

Old 05-08-10, 04:19 PM
drive shaft not turning on string trimmer

I have a ryobi ss30 string trimmer, model# RY40030A that was given to me. The motor runs great but the drive shaft is not turning. I took it apart and when I look into the clutch housing hole that the drive cable inserts into, it appears that this hole is too big to accomodate the square head on the drive shaft cable. Before disassembly, I tried pushing down on the shaft while slowly pulling the starter rope. It seemed to engage but it when I started it, the cable was "binding" similar to a chain saw with the chain lock on. I assume this means the clutch is working properly. Any ideas? Do I need a new clutch housing? I have never worked on a string trimmer so I would greatly appreciate any help/suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-10, 08:02 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You'll have to determine if the end of the cable is stripped or if it's the socket in the clutch, or both. Can you turn the cable by hand and turn the trimmer head with little effort?

Old 05-08-10, 09:20 PM
I had the long "arm" or drive cable housing or whatever it's called, broken down in two pieces. On the upper piece, I grabbed the square end of the cable (the end that goes into the clutch) with a pair of needle nose pliars and tried to turn it but it would not turn. Should I be able to turn it from there? The other end of the upper piece had an opening to accept the cable on the lower end (the end with the cutter attachment). The lower cable spins freely when I turn the blade and shows no signs of being stripped. As you can tell, I'm not a string trimmer mechanic but I feel this is an easy fix.
Thank you for any help you send my way.

Old 05-09-10, 05:02 PM
I just finished taking apart a Ryobi trimmer which had a broken cable. One of the forum members was kind enough to let me know of this site, http://www.searspartsdirect.com/part...ken=partSearch, which helped me take apart, repair, and put the trimmer back together without any extra parts. ; ) If the opening in the clutch drum, not clutch housing(clutch housing is part behind the drum), is enlarged, you could shim the cable end up with just a few wraps of duck tape. Or drill a hole through the drum and cable end, plus a small shim and pop rivet it. Or possibly squeeze drum with vice or pliers. Cables only run around $12.00, the drum is around $25.00.
BTW, my trimmer was bought at Sears as a Craftsman, but is a rebadged Ryobi.

Old 05-09-10, 07:37 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Your shaft should turn freely in both sections. I think you have a problem in the shaft section that isn't free turning.

Old 05-10-10, 07:52 AM
Thanks guys for all of the input. Since my last post, I removed the drive cable from the upper shaft. The cable runs inside a 4 finned plastic insert that fits tight against the inside walls of the shaft. My question (and I know it sounds elementary) is: does this cable spin inside this plastic piece or does the whole thing turn as a unit? I can't get the cable to turn inside this plastic piece. I really DO appreciate all of the responses on this problem and any other responses that may come forth. Thank you for your time.

Old 05-10-10, 09:01 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The cable should spin freely inside the plastic piece.

Old 05-11-10, 05:27 AM
Thanks to Cheese and all who responded. I have ordered a new upper boom section (about $25) and should be up and running soon. Thanks again.