Troybilt rider dies when releasing clutch or engaging blade.

Old 05-08-10, 06:55 PM
Troybilt rider dies when releasing clutch or engaging blade.

I'm having problems with a 42" Troy-bilt rider. What happens is when you let off of the clutch after starting it, it will shut off. When I keep my foot on the clutch pedal to keep it running and then engage the blade, it shuts off. I have tested all of the safety switches and all are working like they should. I even used jumper wires on all of the connectors to eliminate the switches and still have the same problem. Two of the 4 switches are 4 prong. the others are 2 prong.

Here is the model number- 13AN779G766183630 and here is the serial--1B095B70020000004

Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-10, 07:55 PM
Try going to the kill wire coming out of the engine and disconnect it. Then see where you're at. Keep in mind you'll have to choke it to death if it decides to keep running.

Old 05-08-10, 08:00 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The seat switch will cause that. Check it and its' connections.

Old 05-09-10, 07:11 PM
I had a piece of card board stuck between the two contacts on the side of the seat to make it look as if you are sitting on it. When you get off of the seat, the two contacts would touch which would kill spark to the coil.The engine will shut off as soon as you release the clutch pedal or if your still holding the clutch pedal down and try to engage the blade, it will shut off. The clutch pedal switch and the blade engage switch are 4 prong. The main colors on the switches are two orange wires and two yellow wires. One wire each has a solid color while the other has a stripe down it. I found that the orange wires, when jumpered together, allow power to get to the starter solenoid. The yellow wires are ground from what I could get from the ohm meter. Once the engine is started, you can remove the jumper wire from the two orange wires on either safety switch connector and it will stay running. As soon as you try to jumper the two yellow wires together, it kills the spark to the coil. This is what is happening when I release the clutch or engage the blades. The plunger switches are closed on one pair of pins when the plunger is pressed in and when released, the first pair open and the other two pins are closed. The switches are working like they are supposed too from what I can tell. What I can't figure out is why is the coil getting grounded when the two yellow wires are shorted together on either switch. Does anybody here have access to a good electrical schematic for this mower? I listed the model and serial number in my original post.

Old 05-09-10, 07:31 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The yellow wires, as I recall, are the kill circuit. The coil is grounding through those wires and you'll have to find out where. I would still concentrate my efforts at the seat switch first. Remove the wires from it and see if it still messes up. If so, trace them from there and figure out where the short is. Maybe one is pinched somewhere. If it were most any place else, the mower wouldn't start at all.

Old 06-01-10, 06:36 PM
I don't know what happened. It just started acting normally again. All of the switches tested good so it should have been working all along. We sprayed some WD-40 on all of the connectors and switches and let it sit over the weekend. I guess that is what did it.