Briggs & Stratton was running fine yesterday, now won't start

Old 05-09-10, 06:33 PM
Briggs & Stratton was running fine yesterday, now won't start

model 31F777; type 0162E1; code 040216ZD
ran out of gas mid cut; filled it up w/regular unleaded gas; battery was a little weak (needs to be replaced) so I hooked up to the charger. just turns over and backfires. thought it was sparkplug, changed it. checked the fuel line through filter and into carburator and gas was flowing. then pulled the spark plug b/c I was asked if I checked the gap, which I didn't. So I did, in hopes that was it and NADA. so frustrating. Anyone who might have a thought on what to check next, I would really appreciate it. PS this is a Toro Zero Turn Timecutter. thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-10, 06:59 PM
On a float bowl type carb, when you run it completely out of fuel the float can drop to its lowest position and stick there which floods the engine. It may go ahead and shake loose, but the engine is still flooded.

if you know you're getting fuel to the carb, then pull the plug, open the throttle wide open and make sure the choke is off. Spin it over a dozen times or so then give a spoon full of gas through the plug hole, turn it over once or twice (no more). Then stick the plug back in it and with half throttle see if it'll take off for you.