Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

toro leaf blower headaches

VA

05-15-10, 11:33 AM   #1  
toro leaf blower headaches

Hi all,
a friend has asked me too look at his blower, the common 2 cycle engine with a walbro wt682a carb. sorry do not have the model number with me but could post later.
anyhow this unit only wants to run at idle. When I try to open throttle it dies, kitted the carb, checked the manifold insert to the engine and sealed with rtv cause no gasket and the oring looked kinda old and it seemed it might have been leaking at the bottom. no luck same thing, made sure the cylinder was tight to the crankcase. The pulse port is open all the way.
Also tried a carb off of a bolens trimmer with same carb but same result only idles which led me to believe it was not the carb but maybe the carb off of bolens was plugged??? anyhow I have run out of ideas. The engine seems to have plenty of compression and the muffler pours out exhaust well, I thought maybe it was plugged but have not removed it yet cause it seemed to be putting out plenty of exhaust.
any ideas??
I thought for sure it was the main fuel passage but everything is clean. Have installed many kits in these type of carbs and am fairly certain it is not the carb now.

Sponsored Links

IA

05-15-10, 02:09 PM   #2  
It's probably a mixture setting. If you have two of those, go to the low speed one, get it started, and go in/out with it until you get a good acceleration off the throttle. Usually, with a bogger, you have to go in. Starting point is 1 1/2 turns out from lightly seated.

Usually if you can them started, it's not the compression causing that problem. That's not to say a loss of compression isn't causing a power problem. It's sounds like you be happy with it running through the rpm range right now and with a two stroke in that application, that's about all you need.

Another thing you can check is the Reed valve. Usually if those have a problem you get a spit back through the carburetor.

TX

05-15-10, 02:18 PM   #3  
i had a similar problem on aa chain saw.
turned ouy to be -the crank seal under the flywheel had come out of the bore.
the crankcase pulse was lost/weak - nolonger a sealed crankcase.

VA

05-15-10, 08:52 PM   #4  
Posted By: newtofta i had a similar problem on aa chain saw.
turned ouy to be -the crank seal under the flywheel had come out of the bore.
the crankcase pulse was lost/weak - nolonger a sealed crankcase.
Interesting thought as I was thinking that the crankcase was not sealed that is why I checked and sealed the intake to the crankcase but it did not work. Yeah I am getting spitback from the carb.
as far as the mixtures, I thought that might be the case also and tried the low speed adjustment as well, in fact it only has the low speed needle, no high speed needle it is not even drilled or tapped.
there really is no reed valve on this one just a piece of metal screwed to the back of the crankcase cover/intake blocking part of the intake, thought there should have been one but see no evidence there ever being one there.
I will check the crank seal as that is something I have not done yet, there can't be much left.
thanks for all your replies and are open to any more ideas.

VA

05-16-10, 02:27 PM   #5  
well the front seal looks ok and the muffler is clear
any more ideas?
the only other thing I can think of is too much blowby, but usually two cycles won't idle well if the compression is low and this one will idle just no acceleration

IA

05-16-10, 02:56 PM   #6  
About the only two strokes that start with low compression are lawn mower engines that have the blade to carry them through the strokes.

That thing should have either a reed or a rotary valve to block the crank from the intake, though. That's about the only way to get through the cycles.

What is the model/make of this critter?

VA

05-17-10, 02:03 AM   #7  
I will have to get back to you with the numbers tonight. you're right, anytime you bring the intake in through the crank it should have a valve, the other types are ported through the cylinder walls.
I will get the numbers and look up a diagram and post here.

Last edited by 5dollaralien; 05-17-10 at 02:41 AM. Reason: mistake in a word

VA

05-17-10, 02:11 PM   #8  
troy bilt TB320BV 31cc
no other numbers that I can see, it uses a walbro carb

http://www.ereplacementparts.com/tro...249_27260.html

here is a diagram of the unit and it is supposed to have a reed valve, the only piece from the assembly shown that is in the motor is the curved metal piece not the actual valve itself
Guess I will have to buy a reed valve for it.
thanks Marbobj
will update later

Last edited by 5dollaralien; 05-17-10 at 04:24 PM. Reason: need to add more text

VA

05-19-10, 04:13 PM   #9  
Good news and bad news
had a bolens trimmer laying around for parts and stole the reed valve from it and installed it into the blower...great
when I removed the old retainer I realized the other valve had snapped off and was thinking when did it do this and where is the rest of it..after inspecting the inside of crankcase and finding nothing and the motor turned freely thought that because someone else had been in here that it was gone and because it would idle all day long...wrong!!
put everything back together and it fired right up, started adjusting the low speed mixture and it was running great then all of a sudden it stopped...oh no!!! I thought, motor was locked up tight, took the intake off and got the motor loose...I think I see the old piece of reed valve down in one of the ports in the cylinder, now got to take it all back apart even further to get it out..hopefully not to much damage, what luck I have at myself, should have known better

VA

05-20-10, 05:30 PM   #10  
yeah piston gouged and a broken ring...toast, just happen to have another motor laying around

IA

05-21-10, 12:28 AM   #11  
That's too bad, about my luck, too.

Anyway we're in good company 5dollar - Obama isn't doing so great either.

VA

05-22-10, 06:55 AM   #12  
salvaged a piston/cylinder set from a bolens trimmer/same motor. went together easy and it runs great! especially with no chunks of metal in there.
thanks all
especially marbobj for the reed valve reminder

Search this Thread