Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Reel mower

MA

05-17-10, 05:50 AM   #1  
Reel mower

I have mostly weeds, opposed to grass, in my yard which I don't have a problem with. However, my reel mower won't cut the fescue grass blade which has seeds on top which I believe is only a problem in the spring. I have been using grass cutters to cut this. If I have my blades sharpened will this resolve the problem? I haven't been successful in finding a place to do this yet, but I have one more place to try.

Thank you in advance.

Karen

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

05-17-10, 06:20 AM   #2  
I haven't used a reel type mower since the 60's but I don't ever remember them being effective on weeds [especially dandelions], not sure if/how that relates to grass seeds. I assume the gas powered reel mowers were discontinued because of this. I take it your mower doesn't have a motor - powered by you

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

MA

05-17-10, 06:32 AM   #3  
reel mower

Thanks.

I don't have a problem with the weeds, just the fescue blades.

Karen

NH

05-17-10, 11:30 AM   #4  
Many shops don't do it because they don't know how. The shops that do sharpen reel blades charge at least 1 hour labor.
You can sharpen the blades yourself.

Amazon.com: American Lawn Mower Company SK-1 Reel Mower Sharpening Kit: Patio, Lawn & Garden

YouTube - How to Sharpen a Push Reel Mower: Scotts Classic

NH

05-18-10, 07:32 AM   #5  
You blades just may need to be adjusted. Here's how to do it.

Adjusting Reel Mowers - Lawn & Garden Tools, Lawn & Garden

Group Moderator

WI

05-18-10, 02:03 PM   #6  
I haven't used one in decades but my understanding is dull blades on a reel mower is a big problem. I'd at least start with that.

Search this Thread