Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Tecumseh 2hp 2 stroke starter spring????????

GA

05-19-10, 08:56 PM   #1  
Tecumseh 2hp 2 stroke starter spring????????

I VE got a tecumseh 2 stroke 2 hp i dont have the model# off the motor (cant find one)it was made in the 1990's, i do have the part # (590690)rewind starter&housing assembly .i cant figure out how to put the new spring in the housing. i watched a you tube video on how to replace a briggs and that a very interesting and enlightening video dont help a lick. i got to put in a new pulley and rope,and spring, anybody got any ideas????/?Beer 4U2Beer 4U2

Last edited by LESNATS; 05-19-10 at 08:58 PM. Reason: left out some info

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-19-10, 10:52 PM   #2  
You pretty much have to wind it up small enough to fit in place, then work it in, making sure the hook on the end hooks in place at the same time. It's aggravating even to the pros.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

WA

05-20-10, 09:07 AM   #3  
I had a Tecumseh recoil starter spring break on me. That was for a 6 HP Ariens string trimmer like this one, except with a Tecumseh engine:

Lawn Chore Products, Ariens® String Trimmer Overview

I had another mower with a Tecumseh engine which I'd given up on getting the carburetor cleaned. So I stripped the recoil starter off that one and used it to get the other working again.

The price of letting junk equipment accumulate is that you get a junky yard. But it can be a handy source of parts.

The small engine shop I patronize for parts probably has a hundred old mowers lined up out front, and a lot of bins of used parts inside the shop stripped off of old mowers.

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

WA

05-20-10, 09:16 AM   #4  
I'm sure Stihl is a good brand. But really ---- running plastic fuel line through the tank wall strikes me as a pretty cheesy engineering method (no pun intended, cheese!).

I'm no Xpert of course. I see the same thing on my cheap Homelight string trimmer, and it tends to drip fuel and generally be a weak point. At least on that one they gave me a generous length of fuel line so I could take it out, trim off the weak points and reinstall it when it began to leak.

NJ

05-21-10, 03:40 PM   #5  
Posted By: cheese You pretty much have to wind it up small enough to fit in place, then work it in, making sure the hook on the end hooks in place at the same time. It's aggravating even to the pros.
No No No...its a hell of a lot easier than you think

Let the entire new spring unwind, now take the outside and seat it in the housing. Now while pushing the spring into the housing with one thumb (Never ever releasing preasure) rotate the housing while feeding the spring inside itself as you turn...I started working for a guy that would wind the entire spring with a cordless drill and a slot bit with a slot cut in it and tie wire it together, get it in place and cut the tie wire and gently try to remove it without sproinging the spring , well I sproinged it on him on purpouse after his nearly 10 min ordeal, and he got pissed... so I picked it up and coiled the spring in in under 1 min he never doubted anything I ever said after that

Search this Thread