Sears Front Tine Tiller, I'm stuck please help

Old 05-20-10, 05:27 PM
Sears Front Tine Tiller, I'm stuck please help

I have an old Sears Tiller that I have had for awhile, not sure what the year that it was made tho. I have been trying to get it running but am having some problems. I can get it to start by pouring gas directly into the carburetor but can't seem to get it to draw fuel from the tank. I have taking the Carburetor off several times and cleaned it out, even tried replacing the pickup tubes in it and still nothing. I was wondering if anybody had any other ideas to try or should I just give it up and replace the Carburetor and if so any ideas or links that I might help in finding this carburetor the numbers off the tiller is:
Model# 13092 Type# 0636-01 Code#79012506

Please help any suggestions welcomed

Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-10, 01:21 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Could be the fuel pump diaphragm, or maybe the bowl is rusted through so that it doesn't hold fuel to pick up.

Old 05-21-10, 03:31 AM
IF your machine is equipped w/ a fuel primer bulb or in-tank fuel filter, those are parts that can also create symptoms as you describe beyond ideas already offered by Cheese.

Look for a split/cracked fuel primer bulb or remove in-tank fuel filter to see if it will run w/o it (replace if that is the problem).

Old 05-21-10, 07:41 AM
make sure it`s fireing good, might try changeing the plug, needle and needle set can get bad [cloged up]and cause lack of fuel flow

Last edited by sawdog15; 05-21-10 at 07:45 AM. Reason: more info
Old 05-22-10, 12:51 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Good suggestions, but this engine has no primer, fuel filter (other than the screen on the new pickup tube), needle, or seat. A common problem is a rusted bowl in the tank on these, and I would make sure the fuel pump diaphragm is installed correctly and in good shape, and if still no luck, pull the carb and make sure the bowl in the tank holds gas.

Old 05-22-10, 12:02 PM
Thank you for all the suggestions. I have already replaced the spark plug, taken the carb off of the fuel tank and there isn't any rust in the tank and the screen at the bottom of the pickup tube is clean and clear. On this particular model there isn't a primer bulb, and still no run except when I put fuel directly into the carb. Could it be a bad carb, and can the carbs go bad?

Old 05-22-10, 08:54 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Can carbs get plugged up on small engines?

Yes.

I've had two Tecumseh carbs that have defeated my best efforts to clean them up. I've given up on one I don't care about and will vandalize for parts, I've bought a new replacement for the other.

I'm not a Xpert though, just a home tinkerer.

Old 05-22-10, 10:13 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You haven't mentioned the fuel pump diaphragm.

Search this Thread