Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Briggs and Stratton 12 HP engine dies when clutch/braks pedal is released

NC

05-23-10, 02:32 PM   #1  
Briggs and Stratton 12 HP engine dies when clutch/braks pedal is released

Last weekend I replaced the solenoid on my Snapper RER and it started right up. The next time I went to start it (about a week later) it again started right up but would die when the clutch/brake pedal is released. What is the problem..any clues? It doesn't matter if it is in gear or in neutral, blade engaged or disengaged.

Sponsored Links

NH

05-23-10, 04:24 PM   #2  
Check the safety switches.

VA

05-23-10, 07:19 PM   #3  
yea probably the brake/clutch pedal switch. Its probably two wires in a harness and you should be able to take a wire and bridge the two wires to see how well it runs then

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-23-10, 11:26 PM   #4  
Sounds like a seat switch problem to me.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

CANADA

05-24-10, 09:05 AM   #5  
Posted By: Stlouisn Last weekend I replaced the solenoid on my Snapper RER and it started right up. The next time I went to start it (about a week later) it again started right up but would die when the clutch/brake pedal is released. What is the problem..any clues? It doesn't matter if it is in gear or in neutral, blade engaged or disengaged.
as indicated by others probably safety switches. When you changed solenoid you may have disturbed wires on clutch or pto safety switches. Look near your solenoid

Forum Topic Moderator

KS

05-24-10, 09:20 AM   #6  
I agree with the seat switch. The mower can be started with the clutch/parking brake engaged "without" having an operator in the seat. Once the clutch/brake is released, or the PTO engaged, an operator is required to be in the seat, making the seat switch.

Search this Thread