Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

One more question about my J.D. JX75

NY

05-26-10, 11:47 AM   #1  
One more question about my J.D. JX75

I'm sorry about this but I was surfing the web about governors & am not sure about this but was reading about them being set to certain rpm's & something about the blade tip rotation.
Having said this I switched my blade this past winter from a J.D. blade to a Gator blade same size but the tips of the Gator blade on top are raised I guess for mulching.
Could this be a problem?
I have an old John Deere blade that I could try but was just wondering if this Gator blade could be causing the problem but the engine does not sound like it is running to fast?
Thank you again
Will,

Sponsored Links
Super Moderator

AZ

05-26-10, 11:59 AM   #2  
Not a small engine guy or anything..but have a little experience with Gator blades. They are heavier which in my experience with small mowers means it takes a little more muscle to start..but once running they shouldn't cause any slow down of the engine. Matter of fact with mine they kept the engine at a higher RPM in deep or wet stuff due to the higher rotational mass.

I would think once the engine gets the blades up to speed...they wouldn't affect RPMs.

Maybe a stretched throttle cable or some other issue? Does the engine run up OK when unloaded?

Vic
"I sometimes wonder how some people ever made it to adulthood..."

IL

05-26-10, 12:16 PM   #3  
Blades that are raised are to create lift or suction, if you like, to the grass. Flat blades are for mulching.
The raised edge will also cause a new sound to a mower that you are used to listening to with flat blades.
The only way to be sure if the rpm's are dropping is with an rpm gauge or meter. That of course would mean you would have to run it with both type blades.

NY

05-28-10, 05:35 AM   #4  
Posted By: Gunguy45 Not a small engine guy or anything..but have a little experience with Gator blades. They are heavier which in my experience with small mowers means it takes a little more muscle to start..but once running they shouldn't cause any slow down of the engine. Matter of fact with mine they kept the engine at a higher RPM in deep or wet stuff due to the higher rotational mass.

I would think once the engine gets the blades up to speed...they wouldn't affect RPMs.

Maybe a stretched throttle cable or some other issue? Does the engine run up OK when unloaded?
After I posted this I got to thinking the mower runs rough when the blade clutch is on (blade stopped) when the clutch is disengaged (blade rotating) she runs fine at least it sounds normal.
Having said that when the clutch is on I notice the throttle linkage moving the throttle back & forth I looked on the J.D. site & there are three springs off the governor I'm going to try a diffrent plug the original one that came with her but if this does not work I'll have to call J.D. store & see if they have the springs for her I'm hopping there not expensive. Then again she is 12 years old & they have never been replaced.
Will,

Search this Thread