Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Craftsman GT3000 Dies while mowing

OH

05-26-10, 03:57 PM   #1  
Craftsman GT3000 Dies while mowing

The 30A fuse blows while mowing. This is a 6 speed Kohler 23hp V-Twin. Mower Model # 917.275010. SN is
042501A002856. Could it be the seat switch shorting out? I think it might be a dead short or a worn wire rubbing somewhere shorting the tractor out. I didnt see any worn wires. So, switch bypass/replacement time? The engine starts and the voltage gauge does go to the right considerably at idle, but the engine doesnt stop, and idles ok. It stops only when mowing. Sometimes it goes 5 minutes, sometimes 20. I wonder if it might be the clutch safety switch, if there is one...or a deck switch? I was reading previous threads for a clue. I dont have one at this point. Beer 4U2

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-27-10, 12:29 AM   #2  
The safety switches won't cause this. This could be caused by a faulty pto clutch, among other things. Disconnect the clutch and turn the switch on and run it awhile and see if it blows a fuse. If so, it is something in the wiring or switches. If not, the clutch is bad.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

OH

05-27-10, 07:31 AM   #3  
I took the couling off the tractor and heard a rattling
coming from the bottom of the engine where the drive
shaft/pulley is. I feel like because I dont know
the first thing about electrical, and disconnecting clutches... looks like a large repair bill. I will try to figure it out first.
Thanks for your help.

Forum Topic Moderator

KS

05-27-10, 07:45 AM   #4  
There are only two wires under the mower frame. Should be a connector on top of the clutch that just unplugs. Might have another connector for the same wires above the frame too.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-27-10, 09:24 AM   #5  
The rattling underneath is probably the bad bearings in the pto clutch and that is most likely why it is blowing fuses. The clutch bearings gone bad allows part of the clutch to rub the electro-magnetic coil and short it out.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread