Cussin' my Homelite Trimlite

Old 05-26-10, 04:23 PM
Cussin' my Homelite Trimlite

Which has now aggravated my hand and forearm to no end with its refusal to start.

I know these are not exactly the greatest trimmers ever, but I cannot believe you need a new one every two years.

I folllow the instructions, exactly, but the dadgum thing will not start for love or money, even with a healthy blast of ether.

My first instinct is to curse Al Gore and his minions to the sky for its overlean settings and non-adjustable jetting, which seems like about half the problem.

The other is that I'm sure you don't buy one of these for $59 from the end aisle cap because it has the best carburetor in the world.

So:

Is there a good source for pre-emission carburetors that can be adjusted to eliminate tip-in stumble, or, is there a source for specialized homelite tools where the certain-to-be $49 screwdriver might be found?

Does the carb need a rebuild, and where can I buy the kit to strip it down and heal the wrist, tendons and joints that now ache needlessly?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-10, 06:08 PM
First it would be helpful if you posted the model number and other associated engine stuff, second does it have fresh fuel, not fresh from the can that has been setting for the 2 years, fresh like 30 days old, third does the primer recycle fuel from the tank through the carb back to the tank. A few things to start with. Have a good one. Geo

Old 05-28-10, 08:13 PM
Thanks for the boucne back. Some info:

Trimmer is the Homelite UT-20006, built in March 2006.

Gas is fresh mix at 50:1. It was running last week, albeit with the usual issues.

Can't tell if there is circulation, but the primer bulb is full and appears to have some sort of action in it when it runs.

Ditched the bump trimmer for a manual feed, to use the .095 line to clean up some tough areas.

Plug was removed, sandblasted, solvent cleaned and blown dry last week (before it started last time) and re-torqued.

The recoil frequently feels as if it 'locks' causing no end of pain to my fingers and forearms. When it was running, it ran pretty well when warmed up, but hot starts have always been difficult. HATE_HATE_HATE the non-adjustable screws.

It will pull and feel as if it is catching for a few revs, then dies back.

My overwhelming suspicion is some sort of poo-poo in the carb (PN 308054003) that is causing the hard start. Have yet to check the coil but will do that tomorrow.

Words fail to describe the frustration of needing to throw a perfectly good trimmer on the junk pile -- my old one went 15 years before it croaked.

Old 05-28-10, 08:45 PM
I believe these are a curved shaft trimmer with NO clutch,, Correct??? If so,, try it with the origional trimmer head on it.. Reason being I've had a landscaper here last week that changed the heads to larger H/D ones & his curved shaft trimmers wouldn't start... I found the larger rotating mass was causing the drive "cable" to unwind when you pull the cord than rewind against the engine stalling it when starting..(Kinda make sence???) They worked fine with the origional heads on them... Just a thought.... Roger

Old 05-30-10, 06:59 AM
Yes it is a no-clutch model, but, the only issues I've ever had with it have been from the string overlapping the shear on startup. Got that fixed, too, cut the string fractionally short to stop that. Mass of the cutter head is about the same, more or less.

Still trying to find out if there is a rebuild kit for the carby nobody in town even carries homelite, for such a well known brand the service sure does stink.

Old 05-30-10, 04:44 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
H-me D-pot carries the trimmers but I don't think they have parts. Got a John Deere that was made by Homelite and getting parts for it can be fun.

Old 05-30-10, 09:04 PM
Strange, I just got one of these today,, If you're carb has "run*ing" or something like that stamped on the meetering cover, I'm told you need a carb as a kit isn't available'' I think this is a MTD product, but I could be wrong... Roger

Old 05-31-10, 07:18 AM
short manual at this link , scroll down.
Found! - Homelite Trimmer ut20006

carb number lookup shows $80 US at M&D

Old 06-02-10, 09:07 PM
Yes, I've found the carby at a few places for similar prices, but, it's hard to fork over the dough when a new trimmer costs less.

Is there any way to field strip and clean out the carb without a kit?