A "slipping" Peerless/Tecumseh gearbox on my Lesco, help?

Old 05-26-10, 06:12 PM
A "slipping" Peerless/Tecumseh gearbox on my Lesco, help?

Hello, I have an older model Lesco 36" walkbehind that I bought used several years ago from a good and reputable grounds keeping company, it's a right fine machine. But there's been a few issues in the transmission, that I think need to be fixed now.

For the pertinent details it is labeled as a "Peerless 2346 7996" and "Tecumseh 3628-P1" googling those numbers yielded me nothing.
It is a 5 speed + reverse transmission/gearbox.

Now here is my problem; the gears/speeds 1-3-4 do not work, that is to say that when the mower is running, I put the control to that speed setting, and the transmission shaft will yes turn, but there's not enough power in the shaft to actually get the belt-pulleys//wheels to move.
Reverse- 2 and 5 work well. But 5 is too fast for me without a sulky.

Now I'm including photos, as you can see there's grease leakage from the right shaft that began about 3 years ago, my local shop said not to worry, just to keep the gearbox filled with grease. That is exactly what I've been doing, but that doesn't fix the fact that the 3 most needed speed setting don't work on this transmission. It's very frustrating.

I'm moderately mechanically inclined so I'd rather fix this than have to replace the transmission. My local shop again quoted me about $350.00 for a new one and didn't want to quote for a repair saying that once these types of gearboxes begin "slipping" that they're ruined, I'm not so certain about that.
So I'd rather save where I can do some of my own work on it, you know?

So, does anyone here have any ideas what might be the problem and what the fix might be? I hope it's something stupidly simple. Please?

I'd appreciate any help on this ongoing problem. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-10, 12:23 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Oh man, it's been so long since I opened up one of those trannys. All I can say is open it up and see what all has gone wrong. You might have worn out bushings and case, and if so, replacement might be the only realistic option.

Old 05-27-10, 06:52 AM
I'm thinking the same now. I opened the case last night, and by the light of my florescent light, saw how "glittery" the grease was from all the little metal spurs and fillings.
This afternoon, I'm planning on actually taking the gearbox off the deck to actually work on it on my bench, get it clean and see what's causing all that loose metal in there.

Do you think that a peerless like this one on eBay might work as a replacement?