Two Cycle Fuel Mixture

Old 05-27-10, 02:49 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Two Cycle Fuel Mixture

I'm trying to be more diligent about using fuel for small engines up within 30 days and having the correct fuel/oil mixture for two cycle engines.

To that end:

U.S. to Metric
Capacity
1/5 teaspoon = 1 milliliter
1 teaspoon = 5 ml
1 tablespoon = 15 ml
1/5 cup = 50 ml
1 cup = 240 ml
2 cups (1 pint) = 470 ml
4 cups (1 quart) = .95 liter
4 quarts (1 gal.) = 3.8 liters

One teaspoon of oil and one cup of gasoline makes a pretty good 50:1 fuel/oil mixture.

Mostly that's for my string trimmer, which gets ordinary household use. A cup last a week or two, at which time I mix up another batch from my 1 gallon fuel container.

I empty the gallon container into my car fuel tank when I fill up and then fill up the gallon container a ways.

I'm doing the mixing in a quart mason jar which can be sealed up in between uses.

If I'm using another two cycle engine like my chainsaw, I'll fuel it up from the mason jar and then pour out the fuel when I'm done and run the engine dry.

I also fuel up my mower each time I use it from the gallon container, adding only a little more fuel than I expect to use, so each time most of the fuel is fresh.

I don't know how long these good habits will last, but cleaning carbs because they are gunked up seems like more of a nuisance!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-10, 06:32 PM
I mix Stihl oil at about 40:1 in a gallon container and use it in all my 2-cycles, old lawnboys and newer Stihl, poulan,homelite and have no problems, I even have an old IDC580 and a Stihl FS85 that the mix set in since last summer and they fired up fine. My point is maybe you need not be quite so concerned if you start with fresh gas to begin with, put a few gallon in the auto before you fill your 2-cycle can(93 octane or better) and use a good 2-cycle oil . Have a good one. Geo

Old 05-30-10, 04:48 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If you buy Homelite 2 cycle oil, it will do the mix ratio for you just by squeezing the bottle to the correct ratio.