engine rebuild question

Old 05-27-10, 08:36 PM
engine rebuild question

I thought I would give this a try on a B&S engine that I bent something internally - probably the crank - but otherwise runs. Just with a lot of vibration.

My question is what specialized tools not normally found in a standard large Sears tool set would be required to do the job? For example, what is needed to get the flywheel off? What else do you use when doing such a job?

Thanks. This will be a just for fun project.

Steve

Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-10, 09:16 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Torque wrench (inch lbs), flywheel puller or steering wheel puller to get the flywheel off, manual, and that should do it.

Old 05-29-10, 04:29 PM
Thanks. I took apart a B&S engine today that would sputter to life, spit fuel out the carb, and quit after a few seconds. I did it for the practice. It seemed simple enough. I did not have to get the flywheel off as the person who gave it to me attempted to get it off. He managed to do so but damaged the part in the attempt. The engine was destined to be scrapped before it was given to me. So now I have one tear down under my belt. This engine did not look that bad at all. There was a some carbon on the values but the values did operate freely. The piston wall had a fair amount of visual fine lines in the wall but nothing that could be felt.

I think it could have been fixed by a new plug and a cleaned, rebuilt carb.

I may attempt to fix this one first. Essentially, just reassemble it. Is there a gasket and seal kit for these engines? Or, do you by the parts or a piece by piece basis?

Thanks
Steve