Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Changing Cog a Gear for starter B/S 287707

AL

05-28-10, 03:20 PM   #1  
Changing Cog a Gear for starter B/S 287707

I need to change the cog on the starter as well as the gear on the flywheel that it marries up to on a Briggs and Stratton M-287707 T-0228 01. Is this a repair I should be able to do or do I need to take it to the shop. Is there anyway to jury rig a way to pull the flywheel without the proper tools.

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

WA

05-28-10, 06:25 PM   #2  
<<Is there anyway to jury rig a way to pull the flywheel without the proper tools. >>

Heh, heh! How motivated are you? I once had the bolts holding the starter on my automotive style inboard outboard engine break off while I was out in a seaway, alone. So the starter fell completely off the engine, with only the wires attached.

I managed to hold the starter in place by hand and power the starter to get the engine started.

My current 120 HP outboard is designed to only be started with a electric starter, but I've sized it up and decided that if the battery were flat I could probably wrap the flywheel with some rope and give it a pull to try to get it started. If that were to happen while I was out in a seaway again, I wouldn't be surprised if I could get it started!

IA

05-28-10, 06:51 PM   #3  
Pulling the flywheel isn't too hard to "make shift" on. Just use a couple of wooden wedges to get a little pressure under the flywheel then tap on the outside of the flywheel. Use a little common sense when you force the flywheel out with the wedges - the idea is to put a little pressure on it.

Non-US

05-28-10, 08:34 PM   #4  
Flywheel pullers are about 5~10 bucks at a Napa store or others... Why risk the damage to a flywheel or crank for that??? Just my thoughts.... Roger

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-29-10, 10:01 AM   #5  
Or rent a steering wheel puller from an auto parts store to pull it off.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread