Tec carb problem

Old 05-28-10, 06:20 PM
Tec carb problem

I need some opinions;
Trying to fix a friend's son's mower(has been messed with), the top plate on the throttle shaft is bent and loose, here we go;
Craftsman 20in
Tecumseh 143.974006, carb 632744
I have cleaned everything, multi times, replaced "O" rings on nozzle, cleaned the bowl nut, etc. have blown everything out with compressed air, cleaned with spray brake parts, with spray carb cleaner, with (30 min soak) NAPA mac6402, with 3 min ultra-sonic bath.
New flywheel key, the old one looked good to me.
Cleaned and reset ignition and spark plug.
Long story shorter, I can get it started and it will run with a shot of carb cleaner(out of starter fluid), but I must mess with the air flow(fingers over the carb throat) to keep it going until it warms up, then it will run fine, if it is shut off it will not start without a prime of some kind.
I have found that I can kill the engine while it is running nicely at 3100rpm by spraying(more like a dribble) of carb cleaner at the base of the throttle shaft.
This indicates to me that unless the engine is running at full throttle the air leak from the throttle shaft and the throttle being closed is not let sufficient air pass over the nozzle to supply vaporized fuel to the engine. Thanks and have a good one. Geo

Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-10, 07:51 PM
is the dust seal & washer still on the throttle shaft?

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/part...0041184&blt=06

Old 05-29-10, 10:07 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Put the screws in that hold the air filter mount on. Some of these draw air through the screw holes if they are open. I found this out after an ordeal like you're experiencing, lol.

Old 05-30-10, 05:29 AM
Originally Posted by cheese View Post
Put the screws in that hold the air filter mount on. Some of these draw air through the screw holes if they are open. I found this out after an ordeal like you're experiencing, lol.
Also put blue loctite on the left (driver side) screw.

Old 05-31-10, 02:40 PM
Originally Posted by indypower1 View Post
is the dust seal & washer still on the throttle shaft?

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/part...0041184&blt=06
It is all there, just beat up.thanks, Have a good one. Geo

Old 05-31-10, 05:00 PM
Geogrubb,just a thought,does the carb have the correct primer bulb.A customer brought me a LEV 100 for repair,had the wrong primer. Part # 36045.Hope this helps.

Jerry

Old 06-01-10, 07:34 AM
Cheese hit the nail on the head.
I wonder why i haven't run into this before, I seldom remove the adapter, however this one has the filter/breather/whatever box which all comes off as a unit. I guess the other carbs were not as beat up as this one, it still leaks at the throttle, however it starts and runs, now I can send it home and just tell them to just prime it more. Thanks, Have a good one. Geo

Old 06-02-10, 01:22 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Glad I could help you for a change Geo... you're usually the one giving out helpful advice here on the forum instead of asking for it.

Old 06-02-10, 07:10 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Can someone explain this problem in more detail? I've been trying to clean Tecsumseh carbs without success. I recently bought a new carb which then worked fine.

My presumption has been that you could test the carb with the air cleaner left off and it should work OK. I actually tested these with both the air cleaner off and on at various times.

Old 06-02-10, 08:13 AM
If your only the first then I must be the second. I have had more of these carbs than any other that would just not repair.
I don't recall if the http://www.cpdonline.com/692509.pdf manual has specific breakdown or not but it does have some good info.
Some of these have a plug (usually plastic) on the outside top that hides a jet/vent...? Remove anything that isn't metal including the washers and dust seals on the throttle shaft and soak it in a bucket of Carb cleaner.
Replacement/aftermarket carbs are almost cheap enough to warrant not spending a huge amount of effort repairing one IMO.

Old 06-03-10, 07:18 AM
I have obtained much valuable information from this website so I thought I would share some as well. I had a Tecumseh LV195EA 362003C that was driving me crazy trying to get it to run properly. It would start fine then begin to sputter and run rough and then it would die. It was acting like it was running lean with a typical air leak. I had the carb apart three times cleaning it and replacing the o rings on the emulsion tube twice. Yesterday morning I found an article containing information that was supposedly only mentioned in what they called an "update class". The article stated that if you removed the air filter housing on this motor, you had to put either loctite or similar sealer on the left (driver side) housing screw. Failure to do this would cause the engine to suck air as the hole for the a/f housing screw is drilled into the primer bulb housing. With much scepticism, first thing yestereday, I removed the screw, added blue loctite and re-installed it. Around 5 oclock in the afternoon I decided to see if the fix worked. I started the mower and to my astonishment it ran fine -- no sputtering or rough running.

Old 06-03-10, 10:25 AM
Hey J166----

I'm looking at the Tec carburetor that wouldn't work for me. Looking at it from the side so the primer bulb is pointed at me, the air cleaner side is on the right.

Now that I look at it, the screw that holds the air cleaner on on my side of the carb (as opposed to the side nearest the engine) appears to go into the primer bulb area.

I take it that's what you are talking about?

I can blow freely through the screw hole, and it appears that the air goes into the fuel bowl.

Old 06-03-10, 10:54 AM
Yep -- thats it. The left hole is drilled and tapped right into the primer area.

Old 06-03-10, 10:59 AM
Heh, heh! Well, that stinks!

It certainly never occurred to me to plug up that hole!

Thanks for pointing out that pitfall.