Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Toro WheelHorse Riding Mower PTO Safety Switch

CAL

05-31-10, 08:26 AM   #1  
Toro WheelHorse Riding Mower PTO Safety Switch

I loaned my 1999 Toro Wheelhorse Model 15-38 HXL and when it was returned the brass lever at the rear of the mower used to disengage the hydrostatic transmission was loose and would not return to engaged. The Briggs and Stratton 15.5 HP engine still starts and runs strongly, and I can drive the mower forward or back. However, when I attempt to engage the PTO the engine cuts out as though it is a safety interrupt switch issue. I have never had an owners manual and cannot seem to locate a schematic on line. I have a fantasy of a simple spring needing to be reconnected or replaced so I can have my very reliable and much used mower back! Thank you for being here and any help you can provide.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

KS

05-31-10, 09:09 AM   #2  
When you say the engine "cuts out" does it shut off as if turning the key off, or misses and sputters...?

CAL

05-31-10, 09:32 AM   #3  
It completely shuts down - no sputtering or hesitation, just turns off as though the key were turned off.

Forum Topic Moderator

KS

05-31-10, 09:52 AM   #4  
It sounds more like a seat switch. If the PTO safety switch was bad, you should not be able to start it.
If you are able to drive it however, IE: release the clutch, that is confusing unless the seat switch has been tampered with.

If you can find the model of tractor (label under the seat?) perhaps I can find some literature...

CAL

05-31-10, 09:59 AM   #5  
Model number is 15-38 HXL --- wouldn't a seat switch affect the ability to start it? Also, please note this is a hydrostatic drive - no clutch needed to "shift" from forward to reverse, no real gears in forward. The clutch is only used when engaging the PTO. Thank you so much!

Forum Topic Moderator

KS

05-31-10, 10:11 AM   #6  
I need the model and serial number that is specific to your mower. There should be a label under the seat with both. Model should start 13A..... maybe 14A.....

The brake pedal in this case I was referring to. With the parking brake engaged you should be able to start the mower with out an operator in the seat. If the PTO switch is not activated it should not start regardless of the seat being occupied or the brake being locked.

Forum Topic Moderator

KS

05-31-10, 10:14 AM   #7  
Do you have an electric PTO? Or manual ?

CAL

05-31-10, 10:38 AM   #8  
It s manual in that on a WheelHorse the PTO engages via a lever under the steering wheel which is lifted and locked into a slot.

Forum Topic Moderator

KS

05-31-10, 10:43 AM   #9  
Ok. Still could use those numbers to find an IPL and possibly schematic,
The PTO switch "should" IIRC be under the steering column near, and activated by the lever.
Try engaging the PTO and see if the mower will start.

Forum Topic Moderator

KS

05-31-10, 10:46 AM   #10  
Does this have a button or such to push to allow mowing in reverse?

CAL

05-31-10, 10:54 AM   #11  
Model No. is 71221 and Serial No. is 9911449

Nope, mower does not now and has never been able to be started with the PTO engaged. There is a key required for mowing in reverse, which is engaged and something I have always used.

Forum Topic Moderator

KS

05-31-10, 11:00 AM   #12  
https://lookup3.toro.com/classes/doGetPub/?pubid=14036

Page 19 electrical schematic

The key also adds another possible element to the problem.

CAL

05-31-10, 11:03 AM   #13  
As my daughter says - you ROCK. Thank you so much. I will let you know via this thread how this works for this old Mom. Blessed be.

Forum Topic Moderator

KS

05-31-10, 11:07 AM   #14  
Posted By: WheelHorse Mom Nope, mower does not now and has never been able to be started with the PTO engaged. There is a key required for mowing in reverse, which is engaged and something I have always used.
That tells "me" the PTO switch is working...

CAL

05-31-10, 11:21 AM   #15  
So, there is one potential eliminated. Thank you so much - I will continue via the link you sent. Best wishes.

Forum Topic Moderator

KS

05-31-10, 01:01 PM   #16  
I never like to "eliminate" any item involving electrical until the actual problem is found and resolved...but it should be enough confirmation to continue diagnosing elsewhere.

I have not had to trouble shoot this system so I am a bit unfamiliar with it.

One thought, might try engaging the PTO with the reverse key activated. If it works in that mode I would certainly suspect that NMIR module, even if not I still do...

cheese will probably be along this eve and have the one check confirmation...

Forum Topic Moderator

KS

06-02-10, 08:25 AM   #17  
Posted By: BFHFixit cheese will probably be along this eve and have the one check confirmation...
cheese...? I was looking fwd to hearing your thoughts on this one...

Search this Thread